GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
walkington

ADCIRC 3D/Sediment

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has used the 3D features of ADCIRC? I have read that SMS doesn't work properly with the 3D options but it does allow you to enter some of the details. Anyway is there a nice tutorial to help figure out how to get it to run properly?

Same for the sediments stuff really as well? :)

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Some early work has been done on ADCIRC 3D, funded by the US Army Corps of Engineers ERDC. Only a first pass was funded, so much work remains to be done before the 3D options are fully supported in SMS.

No work has been done to date on supporting sediments in SMS. It is my understanding that the ADCIRC group has been focusing more on storm surge, hurricane forecasting, etc. as of late.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in assuming that I can use SMS to generate the grid which I can use in 3-D? I don't use SMS generally to run ADCIRC anyway so SMS being used to run/setup the model isn't such an issue, it really is generally the grid. Do you happen to know of any example/tutorial for using the ADCIRC 3-D options at all, or are these not generally supported by any ADCIRC model.

I hope that this make sense:)

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

I don't know of any ADCIRC example/tutorial that uses the 3D options. You may want to inquire on the ADCIRC listserv. I found the following publications on the 3D mode:

1. http://www.adcirc.org/publications/1992/1992_Luettich02.pdf
  2. Grenier, R.R., R.A. Luettich and J.J. Westerink, 1994, Comparison of 2D and 3D models for computing shallow water tides in a friction dominated tidal embayment, Estuarine and Coastal Modeling III, M. Spaulding et al., [eds]., ASCE, New York, NY, 58-70.
  3. Pandoe, W. W. and B.L. Edge, 2003. Sediment Transport Associated with the Baroclinic Term in the 3D-Hydrodynamic Circulation Model; Study Case for Idealized Estuary, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Estuarine and Coastal Modeling, Monterey, CA, November 2003.
  4. Pandoe, W. W. and Edge, B. L., Cohesive Sediment Transport in the 3D-Hydrodynamic-Baroclinic Circulation Model; Study Case for Idealized Tidal Inlet. Journal of Ocean Engineering, in press, 2004.

I would assume you can set up the majority of files required including the grid for 3D, but I have not tried this. You will probably have to make some manual tweaks to the files, although I'm not sure what parameters would need to be changed. I did a quick review of the ADCIRC documentation and found a section of the fort.15 file that appears to contain quite a bit of 3D information. It is written after the 2D information and includes information on how to generate the vertical layers of the 3D grid

IGC - http://www.adcirc.org/documentv47/parameter_defs.html#IGC

The ADCIRC documentation lists the Fort.15 file differences here: http://www.adcirc.org/documentv47/fort_15.html

For 2DDI ADCIRC run, file ends here.

The following information is only included for a 3D run:

IDEN

ISLIP, KP

Z0S,Z0B

ALP1,ALP2,ALP3

IGC,NFEN

for k=1 to NFEN (include this loop only if IGC = 0, k=1 at bottom, k= NFEN at surface)

SIGMA(k)

end k loop

IEVC, EVMIN, EVCON

for k=1 to NFEN (include this loop only if IEVC = 0, k=1 at bottom, k= NFEN at surface)

EVTOT(k)

end k loop

THETA1, THETA2 (include this line only if IEVC = 50)

I3DSD,TO3DSDS,TO3DSDF,NSPO3DSD

NSTA3DD

for k=1 to NSTA3DD

X3DS(k), Y3DS(k)

end k loop

I3DSV,TO3DSVS,TO3DSVF,NSPO3DSV

NSTA3DV

for k=1 to NSTA3DV

X3DS(k), Y3DS(k)

end k loop

I3DST,TO3DSTS,TO3DSTF,NSPO3DST

NSTA3DT

for k=1 to NSTA3DT

X3DS(k), Y3DS(k)

end k loop

I3DGD,TO3DGDS,TO3DGDF,NSPO3DGD

I3DGV,TO3DGVS,TO3DGVF,NSPO3DGV

I3DGT,TO3DGTS,TO3DGTF,NSPO3DGT

The following lines will be read in only if IDEN is > 0.

NLSD, NVSD

NLTD, NVTD

ALP4

The following line will be read in only if IDEN = 3 or 4.

NTF