GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jose Maria

Graphics at the las beta of SMS

Dear friends:

At the last two betas a problem has appear: when I am editing anything at the screen, (for instance, doing a new mesh or moving a point), the image dissapears. This is a bit disturbing.

I am using Vista Business, and the version 10.0 was working O.K. in this aspect.

Could I fix it uin any way, or should I wait for the new issue?

Thanks, best regards,

Jose M.

This shouldn't be happening. Major changes were made to the graphics from v9.2 to 10.0. If 10.0 is working properly, then there shouldn't be display problems such as this for you with 10.1. What graphics card do you have? Please post the results from the System Info utility packaged with SMS. This can give us additional information for troubleshooting.

Also, could you relate some more specifics about the problem you're encountering? When you say that the image disappears, are you referring to a background image (like tiff or jpeg) or are you referring the the entire display in the graphics window?

I could not upload a video showing the problem. It occurs doesn't matter what there is in the screen. The video shows only scatter points and coverage, and it fails.

If you send me an email address, I can send you the avi file.

Regards,

Jose

I could not upload a video showing the problem. It occurs doesn't matter what there is in the screen. The video shows only scatter points and coverage, and it fails.

If you send me an email address, I can send you the avi file.

Regards,

Jose

Sorry, I forgot the sys sys_info.txtinfo:

Hi Jose,

I have talked with John several times about the troubles you are having.

The source of the problem seems to be your graphics card since these things work great on our computers here. We made an investment this year in an approach to use software rather than hardware graphics in order to fix situations such as yours. Unfortunately, I understand that this did not resolve your issues either. SMS will always work best with a stand alone graphics card (you may want to look for this when you purchase your next machine). However, we try to do make it work as well as possible when this is not the case.

We are committed to doing everything reasonable to get this working for you. We are trying to decide what the next step is. We are contemplating purchasing a motherboard with the same integrated graphics as you are using but are concerned we still may not see the same behavior.

Myself and others are trying to figure out what our next step should be to get this resolved. I appreciate that you took the time to give us all the information you can to help us resolve the issue and your patience while we try to get this fixed.

I'll keep you up to date on our progress.

Cheers,

Rusty

Jose,

Files used for software rendering were left out of the last installation. Please try using software rendering with the latest version of SMS. For more information, see the following post:

http://aquaveo.invisionzone.com/index.php?...pic=658&hl=

O.K., I'll update my beta.

I have purchase an NVidia Zotac card with 816 Mb. Hope to plug in it this week, but I need an stronger power source. My computer is a professional one, but at least at Spain this means that you can't play with it: in other words: graphic card are not very good.

I'll let you now as soon as I have news.

Cheers,

Jose

Jose,

I currently have an nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (512 MB) and have been quite happy with it. If using SMS or other graphics intensive programs such as CAD programs, the graphics card is very important. We have found that integrated graphics cards often have quite a few problems. We've also had better luck with nVidia cards over ATI cards, so I'm hopeful your new graphics card will help resolve some of the issues you've been seeing. Using hardware rendering is faster than using software rendering.

Regards,

John

:lol:

I SUCCEDED!!! Finally, I installed a Zotac baesd on NVidia Geforce 260, with 812 Mb. I had to change the source, since the former one had no conectors enough (the card needs FOUR plugs!!!). Now graphics are quite O.K.

Thank you very much for your patience with me on this problem.

Cheers,

Jose