GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jose Maria

Saving data

Dear colleagues:

I am finding a cilly problem: if I try to have a run with some of the files classified into directories (for instance, bathymetry under "bathymetry" directory, etc,), I get errors when running, because the model can't find the data files.

It seems as if the general file does not store the path to the files. The problem dissapear if I have the full set of files in the same directory. But from time to time, I use to share files in different runs, and this forces me to copy all of them in the run's directory. This can produce errors, in the case I modify one of the files: I should proceed to copy it all the times I am using it.

Thanks,

Jose M.

• Like 1

Jose,

What model are you having these problems with?

Thank you,

John

• Like 1

ADCIRC requires that all input files reside in a single directory and that they be named with the fort.xx convention. When a project is saved from SMS, all of the necessary simulation data are saved in .sms, .ctl, .grd, etc. When the model is launch from SMS, all of the necessary ADCIRC input files are written to the working directory. For example, the .ctl data are saved in a fort.15, .grd in the fort.14, and so on. Because of this convention, it is impossible to have a single ADCIRC run reference files scattered across multiple directories.

• Like 1

Jose,

You may want to suggest a change to allow the specification of paths to the ADCIRC Development Group. Their contact information is posted at http://www.adcirc.org/development_group.html. I'm not sure how open they are to suggestions, but I know they are actively developing the model, so it couldn't hurt to contact them.

Also, the ADCIRC Listserv is a great resource for ADCIRC model questions. To join, just send an email to cfulcher@email.unc.edu. The Listserv is monitored by a large number of ADCIRC users and the model developers.

• Like 1