GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
krobinson

FESWMS Steering for Wetland

I am trying to model a wetland with a submerged outlet (set to super critical flow) and a boundary condition inlet.

I have a few questions for trying to get this working (I just started using SMS/FESWMS so these might be really basic - I hope!)

1. I am finding the Steering Module quite difficult to play with because it is a black box with little or not documentation. Could someone point me to some information to help with setting it up and running it, trouble shooting it and then using it (beyond the tutorial which is too basic and too perfect)?

2. When I am finished running the Steering Module I would like to see the results graphically but even a successful spindown shows up blank in the contours. Any suggestions?

3. I get an error asking for a WSE for the model but I would rather set a flow and have the WSE calculated. Is that possible from a cold start or steering module or do I have to start with a WSE and switch to flow after running the Steering Module? Or is there another option I am missing?

4. Can I define a stage-discharge curve for my submerged outlet (ie not on a boundary)? How is it done?

5. Can I define a storm flow (hydrograph) for my inlet, linked to a stage-discharge curve outlet (as above) to determine my WSE? I'm guessing this would be transient - does this function work in FESWMS?

I know its a lot of questions but any help on any of them would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerri

1. I am finding the Steering Module quite difficult to play with because it is a black box with little or not documentation. Could someone point me to some information to help with setting it up and running it, trouble shooting it and then using it (beyond the tutorial which is too basic and too perfect)?

The steering module automatically adjusts boundary conditions as described in this wiki article: http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:FESWMS_Spindown. Basically, SMS is automatically creating a series of FESWMS runs, starting with runs that are "easier" for the model to solve, using the results to hot start a run that is "harder" to solve until the boundary conditions match those specified by the user. Hot starts are discussed on page 3-21 of the FST2DH manual. You can tell SMS to leave intermediate files so you can see how the solution changes with each run. If the steering module is unable to find a solution, you can manually perform this process, or manually hot start and adjust boundary conditions to get past the point the steering module is having problems at. If you are having convergence problems, look in the ouput files to find the area of the mesh where stability is an issue - you may need to adjust the mesh or refine it.

2. When I am finished running the Steering Module I would like to see the results graphically but even a successful spindown shows up blank in the contours. Any suggestions?

Does the SteeringStatus.txt file indicate that the model has completed? If yes, you can manually load the hydrodynamic solution - it doesn't auto load as is done when just running the model in the normal mode.

3. I get an error asking for a WSE for the model but I would rather set a flow and have the WSE calculated. Is that possible from a cold start or steering module or do I have to start with a WSE and switch to flow after running the Steering Module? Or is there another option I am missing?

You must specify boundary conditions that allow the model to find a solution. For example, simply specifying two flowrate boundary conditions results in an infinite number of possible water surface elevation / velocity combination solutions. Usually flowrates will be specified at inflow boundary nodes, and water-surface elevation is specified at outflow boundaries.

4. Can I define a stage-discharge curve for my submerged outlet (ie not on a boundary)? How is it done?

What type of structure are you modeling? Culvert, Gate, Drop-Inlet Spillway?

5. Can I define a storm flow (hydrograph) for my inlet, linked to a stage-discharge curve outlet (as above) to determine my WSE? I'm guessing this would be transient - does this function work in FESWMS?

FST2DH supports rating-curves for determining the water surface elevation based on the flowrate. When used, it is typically for the outflow boundary.