GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
goliath

Problem with Transient data in GMS

Hello All,

I m having dificulties while trying pasting transient recharge data set to time set.GMS producing some extrapolation internally (and assign weird numbers to model) although I have all the data.Has anyone facing this situation.

Best Regards

Gareek

Hello All,

I m having dificulties while trying pasting transient recharge data set to time set.GMS producing some extrapolation internally (and assign weird numbers to model) although I have all the data.Has anyone facing this situation.

Best Regards

Gareek

GMS is giving an error sign before starting extrapolation 'Some xy series do not cover the range of times specified by modflow stress periods.Values will be extrapolated from the information that is available'. ??

Transient data needs to be in a "step-type" format (duplicate data points to end one stress period and start the next). This could be one problem. Not having imported transient data for a while, I don't recall if it will do some of this automatically when you import data. The last error is not necessarily a big deal, depending on how things turn out. You may be running your model for a certain length of time or for stress periods that don't match up exactly with your transient data and the model just says it doesn't line up (but it will attempt to line things up).

• Like 1

Transient data needs to be in a "step-type" format (duplicate data points to end one stress period and start the next). This could be one problem. Not having imported transient data for a while, I don't recall if it will do some of this automatically when you import data. The last error is not necessarily a big deal, depending on how things turn out. You may be running your model for a certain length of time or for stress periods that don't match up exactly with your transient data and the model just says it doesn't line up (but it will attempt to line things up).

Many thanks for responce.

Actually I ve calibrated the steady model and all I want to do is enter my transient recharge values to modflow.When I past it seems ok but in the modflow recharge array all I see some similar numbers to mine.General problem is GMS extrapolating my low recharge values with the higher values.It is not allow me to enter originals.The overall result is quite dramatic for me, 4 time bigger recharge value in my all catchment at the and of 4 year.I ve put a graph showing what happening to my data.lowest values are exagerated 83 times biger than originalls!!

Any Help Apretiated

rec_values.bmp

Edited by goliath

I can see it is a problem, but can't really say what is going on. "It is not allow me to enter originals." That's the part that concerns me more than anything. If you can't figure out a way to do it in the program, edit the recharge file outside of GMS with a text editor and then open up your model again.

• Like 1

I can see it is a problem, but can't really say what is going on. "It is not allow me to enter originals." That's the part that concerns me more than anything. If you can't figure out a way to do it in the program, edit the recharge file outside of GMS with a text editor and then open up your model again.

Many Thanks for Responce Sean,

I have managed the data entry using another text editor.I was lucky because I have only 4 year simulations , not too much data, but I have to note that one has to check GMS after using its xy series editor.Some times it can give you different things .

Regards

• Like 1