GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
krobinson

Wetland modelling in RMA2?

I am wanting to hydraulically model a constructed wetland with the ultimate goal of tracking contaminant transport and sediment deposition. I was told that RMA2/RMA4/FESWMS would be able to do this.

I have a submerged inlet and outlet, during storm events with a permanent water level in the wetland. This means that I have considerable change in wet/dry elements.

My initial thought is to start with a completely flooded pond in order to obtain my hotstart file however that situation will never occur in reality. I am having some trouble getting the inlet and outlet boundary conditions set due to the fact that they are within the facility and not actually a water boundary.

I would appreciate some tips from anyone who has successfully used SMS for this type of application.

Thanks, Kerri

Kerri,

One thing to consider if you want to run RMA4 is that you will need a hydrodynamic solution from RMA2. In RMA2, you may need to introduce a small "tear" in your mesh to have a boundary on which you can apply the desired boundary condition. For FESWMS, you can apply a nodal source/sink boundary condition to an internal node.