GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Stalker

Land Use Coverage and Soil Type Coverage

The question is connected with Land Use and Soil Type in WMS, and how to create it myself using image and information of this land, and than use it in HEC-1 for example.

If I have information of geological structure and photo from space of some territory, how to create theese coverages myself, and than use them in HEC-1(or others) for example. If it is necessary, I can get any information of this territory (I can measure anything).

In manual of WMS said how to create Soil Type coverage, having some information of soil and a map.

But what does it really mean, soil A,B,C,D? what coeffitient of infiltration?

And what about Land Use? if, for example, I see on map, that this territory consists of forest and one lake only, what have I do, to create Land Use coverage?

The problem is actual for small territories, where we would like to get good accuracy.

WMS 8.1

Thanks.

Edited by Mike Stalker

Hi Mike,

I'd just mark your soils based on the soil type. You might be able to get this from the geologic map of your area. Here are the infiltration rates for different soil types (rough guideline):

A - high infiltration rates

.30 - .45 in/hr (sands, deep loess, aggregated silts)

B - moderate infiltration rates

.15 - .30 in/hr (shallow loess and sandy loams)

C - slow infiltration rates

.05 - .15 in/hr (clay loams, low organics, high clay)

D - very slow infiltration rates

0.0 - .05 in/hr (high water table, clay layer near surface)

You need both a soil type and a land use coverage to get curve numbers. If you only have a lake and a forest, it might be good enough to create two polygons in your land use coverage...a polygon for the lake and one for the forest. You need to define soil type curve numbers (A, B, C, and D) for each land use. More information about doing this is on the xmswiki.com site here. This site has a link to a sample table you can download and use in WMS. You will probably need to modify the curve numbers in this sample table.