GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
daellishou

Project File Format

This issue is somewhat related to my previous post (Problem saving 2dm file). I thought the problem with saving the 2dm file might be related to the file path. The SMS 10.0 tutorial indicates that the project file is a text file (Overview Section 17). So I thought I would check the project file (.sms). It is not a text file. Am I missing something?

No, the tutorial is incorrect and I apologize for the confusion. In order to read the project file (.sms) you will need a HDF file viewer. The project file used to be a text file but has since been upgraded to improve the performance of the software.

Daellishou,

As Chad said, the SMS Project File was a text file in old version of SMS. You can differentiate the old version from the new by the file extension. Old, ASCII versions had the file extension *.spr. Newer versions of SMS use a binary file (*.sms). Visit http://xmswiki.com/xms/XMDF for links to HDF file viewers and a quick explanation of the non-text, binary format used for some SMS files. They are listed at the bottom of the page.

HDF5 File Browsers and Editors

* HDF Explorer

* NCSA HDFView

Daellishou,

As Chad said, the SMS Project File was a text file in old version of SMS. You can differentiate the old version from the new by the file extension. Old, ASCII versions had the file extension *.spr. Newer versions of SMS use a binary file (*.sms). Visit http://xmswiki.com/xms/XMDF for links to HDF file viewers and a quick explanation of the non-text, binary format used for some SMS files. They are listed at the bottom of the page.

HDF5 File Browsers and Editors

* HDF Explorer

* NCSA HDFView

I checked these sites. Would it be usefull to us to have the HDFView installed? Would this assist in checking or finding problems in any of the SMS files?

I checked these sites. Would it be useful to us to have the HDFView installed? Would this assist in checking or finding problems in any of the SMS files?

There should be no need to modify the .sms file, but it can be useful to see the files being referenced. You can always rebuild a .sms file by reading in the individual components (files) and then saving a new .sms file. You can also use the viewers to look at .h5 files which are used by some models for file input and output and by SMS for some data sets.