GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
daellishou

Problem Saving 2dm file

Previously all of my work with SMS 9.2 and 10.0 has been with all the files located on a local driver (D:). Recently I moved the files to the server to allow others to assist with some of the tasks. Since doing this when we save the project we are getting a system message that the 2dm file cannot be opened and to check permission. The file was not write protected. I think we have found a work around but I would like to know how I created the problem. We think we solved the solved the problem by doing a 'save as' to a temporary project and then a 'save as' back to the original project.

Update: This is turning into a bigger problem than I originally thought. In order to save-as we are having to cchange the project name each time because we get the same message. The exact message is: 'SMS10.0' 'ERROR: Could not open file K100_OF.2dm. Check permission'. We also noticed that even if we delete the mesh from the project we can't rename the file unless we completely close SMS. We get a similar message 'Cannot rename. File being used'.

Edited by daellishou

SMS can only be run on your local machine and not sharing files over a server. If you wish to share files with others over a network you will have to copy the files to your local hard drive then run them and make any changes then replace them again on the server. The errors you are getting are because of this. SMS was not designed to be shared over a network with multiple users running the same files and you will run into errors like you have.

The project files can be uploaded and shared over a network like any other file but when running SMS and its models be sure everything is copied to you local drive.

Update: This is turning into a bigger problem than I originally thought. In order to save-as we are having to change the project name each time because we get the same message. The exact message is: 'SMS10.0' 'ERROR: Could not open file K100_OF.2dm. Check permission'. We also noticed that even if we delete the mesh from the project we can't rename the file unless we completely close SMS. We get a similar message 'Cannot rename. File being used'.

Daellishou,

Regarding the file being locked until SMS is closed - this was recently reported to us and I fixed the problem in the code in our development version of SMS. I will verify that the issue was also fixed in SMS 10.0 also.

- John Howlett

Thanks for the quick replies. It is not really a serious problem to run the program on a local drive. We considered that approach at one time because it can be faster if the server has a lot of activity. I think we can consider this problem solved.