GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
moose

Runnung unsteady flow in HEC-RAS

I set up a model and entered the unsteady flow data into HEC RAS 4.0 Beta. When I click compute the geometry processor runs smooth with no errors and then the analysis stops without initiating the unsteady flow simulation. There is no indication or output with errors explaining the problem as to why. What is wrong with my model?

Moose,

I would recommend looking through the HEC-RAS user's manual in the unsteady flow section. It has a lot of troubleshooting suggestions which are too numerous to list here. I've never seen this particular problem before, so it's hard to tell without looking at your project files. You might try running the model in HEC-RAS 4.0 release (not beta) to see if that fixes anything. You also want to make sure the "Unsteady Flow Simulation" toggle is turned on in the unsteady flow analysis window. If neither of these work, I would go through and make sure you aren't missing anything in your unsteady flow inputs.

I hope this helps.

Clark

Moose,I would recommend looking through the HEC-RAS user's manual in the unsteady flow section. It has a lot of troubleshooting suggestions which are too numerous to list here. I've never seen this particular problem before, so it's hard to tell without looking at your project files. You might try running the model in HEC-RAS 4.0 release (not beta) to see if that fixes anything. You also want to make sure the "Unsteady Flow Simulation" toggle is turned on in the unsteady flow analysis window. If neither of these work, I would go through and make sure you aren't missing anything in your unsteady flow inputs.I hope this helps.Clark

-----------------------------

Hello,

I have the same problem like Moose.

I set up a model and entered the unsteady flow data into HEC RAS 4.1.0. When I click compute the geometry processor runs smooth with no errors and then the analysis stops without initiating the unsteady flow simulation. There is no indication or output with errors explaining the problem as to why. What is wrong with my model?

I was study the HEC-RAS manual, but no results.

I was tried differently combinations of input data, but it's still wrong.

Can you help me?

Do you have some videoclips of the procedure and examples or detailed PDF manual with pictures?

Thanks Steve

Steve,

We don't have any sample problems showing how to setup an unsteady RAS model. The initial geometry and cross section/reach attribute setup is similar to a steady RAS model. Make sure your model is running in steady state mode and then convert it to an unsteady model. If it still is not running, I'd recommend looking at the RAS user's manual like Clark recommends. We could also take a look at your model and see if we can find a quick solution to your problem. You can put your model on our FTP site (ftp://pubftp.aquaveo.com) in the incoming directory and let me know when it's there. If you put your model there, I can see what I can find.

Chris