GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
DiDi

Storms in SMS 8.1

Hi !

I'm looking for the effect of pressure gradients on the hydrodynamic of a lagoon. I've only the SMS 8.1 to work with, and I tried to simulate storms in order to get similar effects.

The problems are :

- the simulation doesn't consider the data entered in RMA2 model control (they are always deleted after saving)

- the BC file doesn't consider the BWS card when I save the RMA2

-I'm taking the Tref = 2hrs, and the simulation seems to consider storm from the begenning (NSTORM=1)

- I've tried to enter the BWS card manually in the BC file, but the result is similar to a simulation without storms

Note that I'm trying to simulate a test (rectangular geometry with a depth about 4 meters), and I'm using the rma2v435 model. I'm also using a generic formula for winds but I don't define thems.

I didn't use SMS before and in my organisation no body can show me how to use it, especially for simulating storms (no body's worked on)

Thank you for help.

Hi !

I'm looking for the effect of pressure gradients on the hydrodynamic of a lagoon. I've only the SMS 8.1 to work with, and I tried to simulate storms in order to get similar effects.

The problems are :

- the simulation doesn't consider the data entered in RMA2 model control (they are always deleted after saving)

- the BC file doesn't consider the BWS card when I save the RMA2

-I'm taking the Tref = 2hrs, and the simulation seems to consider storm from the begenning (NSTORM=1)

- I've tried to enter the BWS card manually in the BC file, but the result is similar to a simulation without storms

Note that I'm trying to simulate a test (rectangular geometry with a depth about 4 meters), and I'm using the rma2v435 model. I'm also using a generic formula for winds but I don't define thems.

I didn't use SMS before and in my organisation no body can show me how to use it, especially for simulating storms (no body's worked on)

Thank you for help.

why don`t you use ADCIRC module? I think you should edit the fort22 file of this module in order to obtain an atmospheric pressure.

why don`t you use ADCIRC module? I think you should edit the fort22 file of this module in order to obtain an atmospheric pressure.

Thank you for your help,

Can you tell me more about the fort22 file (note that I don't have pressure data, no measurements)

Thank you very much

As a final thought on this thread - page 120 of the Users Guide To RMA2 Version 4.5, "To date, the two-dimensional Mississippi River Gulf Outlet study (1991) is the only application at WES in which storms were used to provided the wind stress. Because of lack of experience in this area, this feature remains experimental."

- John