GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jimmygriffey

Create a cellstring in Bouss-2D

Hi:

How to create a cellstring in Bouss-2D? I click in one grid, and the grid becomes red, and then I can't drag or click the other grids. It says that "cell strings cannot contain inactive cell types". How should I do it? Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin,

You can choose the menu command Cellstring | Generate Along Boundary to automatically create cellstrings along your grid boundary.

When manually creating a cellstring, SMS will attempt to create the cellstring following a direct line inbetween your clicks. Try guiding SMS more by clicking shorter segments of the cellstring so that the cellstring does not intersect land or inactive ocean cells.

Hi:

I still cannot make the boundary. The followings are my procedures:

(1) Open my bathymetry profiles.

(2) Chosse the model to Bouss-2D.

(3) Under Map module, chosse "create a 2-D grid frame", and in "Feature Objects ", choose Map to 2d grid.

(4) Then in Cartesian grid module, if I use "create a cell string", i can only create a red dot, and if I use "Generate along the boundary", nothing

shows up.

Where am I wrong in my procedures? Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin,

Please verify the following:

• When you are converting the grid frame to a grid, have you set the bathymetry source? It can be either constant or interpolated from a scatter set.
  • Are ocean and land cells being created properly? You can use the display options to turn on just land or ocean cells. Cell strings can only pass through ocean cells. BOUSS-2D assumes that land cell elevations are >= 0.0 and ocean cell elevations are < 0.0.
  • Is any message shown when you try to manually click out the cell string?

Hi:

I can define the BC now. But when I run the model, it said fatal errors: Wave generator boundary only contain land points. I check my grids, which are all oncean grids. How should I correct it?

kevin

Kevin,

Double check that the cells the cell string goes through are ocean cells and that the depth of the ocean cells is < 0.0.

Hi:

I solved the problem, but another issue is coming. I still can't run the model, and the error message is "Zero cycles detected in zero-crossing analysis ". How do I solve this issue? My computational domain is a rectangular shape. The wave maker is from the north, and the other three sides are damping boundary condition with a value of 1. Anyway, I really appreciate your helps.

Kevin

Kevin,

Double check the values you have entered in the Probe Manager - menu command BOUSS-2D | Probe manager.

The error message you mention is shown when the code "Performs zero downcrossing analysis on an input array, eta, with nt data points at a time interval of delt. The subroutine outputs the average of all the heights (hav) and periods (tav) between zero-crossing cycles. A minimum wave elevation threshold, eps, is used to avoid small ripples being counted as valid wave cycles."

I believe the message is shown when the code is unable to identify downcrossing times or upcrossing times.