GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
daellishou

Mesh element area

We are using SMS 10.0 with the SRH2D program (i.e. a generic mesh). We would like to get a table of surface area for all mesh elements with the same element number as given in the 2DM file. We need to get an estimate of the total volume under the water surface. Can this be done? I know that I can get this information on an element by element basis but we are working with over 40,000 elements so that doesn't work. Any ideas?

Hi,

I'm sorry to report that there isn't a way that I can think of to do this within SMS.

If you are a programmer, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to read the 2dm file and create a table with this information. You could also do this with Excel, but it might take some work to setup.

In either case, the elements contain node numbers that are used for each element. You would need to get the locations used in each element and compute the area. In Excel, this would require a lookup command to find the x and y values for a given node id.

Sorry, there isn't a more simple solution to this problem.

We are using SMS 10.0 with the SRH2D program (i.e. a generic mesh). We would like to get a table of surface area for all mesh elements with the same element number as given in the 2DM file. We need to get an estimate of the total volume under the water surface. Can this be done? I know that I can get this information on an element by element basis but we are working with over 40,000 elements so that doesn't work. Any ideas?