GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Greg

coordinate transformation

I figured out my sid file problem, but now I would like to transform the coordinates from meters to feet. When I use the coordinate transformation I assign the image coord. system to State Plane NAD (83) in meters and leave the vertical at local (meters). I want to transform the data to State Plane NAD (83) US feet. When I do this in the coordinate transformation, my image disappears from view so I have tried to frame image and there is still no image. I moved my display to the coordinates that image should be and there is still no image.

Any suggestions on how to do the conversion would be appreciated.

Thank you

Greg

What you've described is the proper way to transform your data. Do you have any other data loaded into GMS in addition to the image? If so, try turning off all data except for the image and then frame. If the image shows up, then it means that you have data not georeferenced to your image. However, this sounds unlikely since you are just doing a meters to feet conversion, which wouldn't cause a large transformation of the data.

Does this happen with this particular .sid image only, or will all images? You could try testing with a simple image from one of the GMS tutorials (like the MODFLOW map tutorial).

Still no luck. I think it has to do with MrSiD files reference other files sdw and aux files and those are not being transformed in GMS. At least that is my only explanation why other transformations are working fine for me. I am looking into using ArcToolBox to project a different coordinate system. I will be sure to share what I learn. If anyone has other ideas, I am more than willing to look into it.

Thank you

Greg

Now that I'm thinking about this (I have run into this before), I'm pretty sure that the transform features of GMS only work on the data (your model), but not on the .sid files. I think you are going down the right road to reproject it in ArcGIS. You could export it as an image (.tif or .jpg) with a world file and then pull it in again.