GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jimmygriffey

Wind current interaction in STWaves?

Hi:

I am trying to add current and wave interaction in STWAVE. I choose the Model control option, and current interaction, and I need to select Dataset? What's that? And what kind of formats for the Dataset, and How do I import it? The same question for Surge fields and wind fields. Thank you.

Kevin

There are two types of data sets in SMS - Scalar and Vector. A scalar data set contains a single value at each computation point. A vector data set contains two values at each computation point (Vx & Vy)

You can import data sets into SMS from ASCII text files using the File Import Wizard.

If you have two scalar components read in, you can convert them in SMS by selecting them both in the project explorer (use shift or ctrl key), right clicking and selecting "Scalars to Vector".

Data sets can also be created using the Data Calculator.

Hi:

Thank you. I still have some questions. When I import the current file, the data formats are X,Y,Vx,Vy, the file becomes "scatter data". It will not show up in the dataset when I try to use "Model control" to define current. The only dataset appeared is wave vector which I obtained from previous simulations. The last question, how does the model define the direction of Vx, Vy, for example Vx positive is to the right, and Vy positive is upwards? The same things for thw wave directions. The 360 degree means the wave from the top? Thank you. I am a new user, so I have a lot of questions.

It will not show up in the dataset when I try to use "Model control" to define current.

You will need to interpolate the data sets from the scatter set to your STWAVE grid. To do this:

1. Switch to the Scatter Module
  2. Select the menu "Scatter | Interpolate to Cartesian Grid"
  3. Select the appropriate options
  4. Repeat for each data set you would like to interpolate
    Note: To interpolate a vector data set, you will need to divide the vector data set into to scalar data sets (Vx and Vy Or Magnitude and Direction) before you interpolate. Once you interpolate the two scalar components, you can recombine them.

The last question, how does the model define the direction of Vx, Vy, for example Vx positive is to the right, and Vy positive is upwards? The same things for the wave directions. The 360 degree means the wave from the top?

When visualizing data in SMS:

• Vx is positive to the right and Vy is positive upwards
  • Magnitude / Direction - Direction 0 is to the right, 90 is up, 180 is left, 270 is down, 360 is right, etc. (CCW is positive for angles)

When Setting Wind Direction and Magnitude values for STWAVE Boundary Conditions, the default angle convention is Cartesian (Same as described above).

• 0 left to right
  • 90 bottom to top
  • 180 right to left
  • 270 top to bottom

The next version of SMS will allow you to input the wind direction using any of the following conventions:

• Oceanographic
  • Meteorlogic
  • Shore Normal
  • Cartesian