GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
katiedoyle

Getting Land Use Data

I'm having trouble finding land use data. My watershed is just west of Orangeville, Utah.

I'm following the steps at the GSDA site. I tried getting data from the EPA, and the "landuse" folder was empty. I read somewhere that the EPA won't be done making shapefiles of land use data until 2008, so that may explain why the folder was empty.

I tried following the steps to get data from the USGS, but apparently the website has changed since the instructions were written, and I couldn't figure out where to go. I tried using the seamless map and downloading the land cover from there, but it doesn't seem to be what I need. :unsure:

I will try WebGIS next. I was just wondering if someone can direct me where to go on the USGS website to get the land use data. I get my DEMs there, so it'd be easy to get land use data at the same time.

I will try WebGIS next.

Well, that didn't help much either. There just seems to be no land use data for this area. My watershed is included entirely within Emery County. The watershed is small - 2 square miles. The approximate lat/lon of the basin centroid is N 39°13'44" and W 111°6'44". I've uploaded a screen shot of what WebGIS shows for Emery County. Is this just an area that has no data?

WebGISscreen.bmp

Hi Katie,

I've tried getting land use data for some areas of Utah before and have been unable to.

However, since you have such a small watershed, it should be easy for you to create your own land use coverage and draw arcs and polygons representing land uses in that coverage. You will need to define a land use and a curve number table for each polygon you draw. One of the WMS 8.0 tutorials, I think it's the one on feature objects (Volume 1, Chapter 3), describes how to draw polygons representing land use. You will need either an aerial photo or an image or both to determine land uses. The tutorial on images should show you how to get images and gives you different ways of making sure images are registered to the coordinate system you're working in. I'd use Microsoft terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/) to get topo data and Google Earth for getting aerial photos. To register your image from Google earth, you will want to save your image both with and without grid lines turned on in Google earth, register your image with the grid lines in WMS, and save a world file. This world file will then work for the image you saved without grid lines from Google Earth. You can then use a combination of your aerial photo and topo map to figure out what your land uses are in your watershed.

Hope that helps,

Chris

However, since you have such a small watershed, it should be easy for you to create your own land use coverage

Thanks. I was thinking that was probably the direction I would have to go.

Katie,

I know this may be too late to be helpful, but when downloading land use data from the EPA, the land use files are no longer available in the core31 file. Like you noticed, the land use folder contained in the core31 file is empty, and this is the case for every watershed, not just yours. To get land use files, you need to download the giras.exe file. I'm not sure exactly which watershed you were working with, but I went to the watershed that covers most of Emery County and I did find land use data for this area in the giras.exe file.

If you've already gotten past this issue, hopefully this information will be helpful to someone else in the future.

-Clark

Katie,

I know this may be too late to be helpful, but when downloading land use data from the EPA, the land use files are no longer available in the core31 file. Like you noticed, the land use folder contained in the core31 file is empty, and this is the case for every watershed, not just yours. To get land use files, you need to download the giras.exe file. I'm not sure exactly which watershed you were working with, but I went to the watershed that covers most of Emery County and I did find land use data for this area in the giras.exe file.

If you've already gotten past this issue, hopefully this information will be helpful to someone else in the future.

-Clark

Clark,

I have run into this problem again. This time my watershed is in the mountains east of Mt. Pleasant and west of Wattis. My drainage basin is part of the San Pitch watershed. I downloaded the core31 data and the giras data from the EPA, and the land use shapefile does not cover the right area. I think I have converted coordinates correctly, but maybe I haven't. I have attached a screen shot - you can see that the soils data covers my watershed, but the land use data is off to the side. Do you think my coordinate conversion is wrong?

post-61-12663458609_thumb.jpg

Katie,

Your coordinate systems could be off, but it looks to me like the land use data you got just doesn't cover the right area. You might try downloading several land use datasets from the EPA and see if any of them work. If none of them do, you might have to use the approach Chris recommended and create your own land use coverage.

Clark

Edited by Clark Barlow

Clark,

I downloaded the data for the adjacent watershed and got the same result. I guess this area of Utah is just poorly covered. I talked to Chad earlier on the phone, and he recommended trying the Utah GIS portal. I'll update this for future reference if I find anything. Thanks.