GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Howlett

Importing Material Values From a Shapefile

This question was submitted to Technical Support via email:

My question is regarding the building of layers into an SMS TUFLOW mesh. I have Bathymmetry data and elevation data for the surrounding areas of the river I am studying. However I do not know how to import a shapefile with the necessary material values into SMS 10.0.

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards,

MP

The steps to do this if you are using SMS without ArcView enabled (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:GIS_Module) are:

* Open the .shp file

* Set the coverage you would like the polygons to be created in to be active, or create a new coverage and set it active

* Choose Shapes -> Feature Objects

* The GIS to Feature Objects Wizard will open

** I am assuming your polygons have a field you want to map to the "Material", for example a "TEXTURE" field - Find the field you want to map to the polygon "Material" in SMS and select "Material" from the combo box below that field.

* Click Next

* Click Finish - the active coverage will now contain the polygons from the shape file, with the assigned material type

If you need the steps with ArcView enabled, please let us know.

If you turn on "Polygon - Fill" and the "Legend" in the map module display options, you will be able to see the materials assigned to each polygon.

I have submitted a request to improve the documentation on the XMS wiki regarding the GIS features in SMS.

Thankyou very much for this help, I am quite new to SMS Tuflow and I am sure the improvement to the documentation will help alot!

I think I may have a few more questions in the coming days, thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,

MP

Edited by Mikey Pio

Hallo,

if the steps explained above are done - what to do with the landuse data?

Is it possible to assign the material value of a polygon to all mesh elements underneath it?

This would be a crucial feature for us....

Thanx

Matthias

The steps to do this if you are using SMS without ArcView enabled (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:GIS_Module) are:

* Open the .shp file

* Set the coverage you would like the polygons to be created in to be active, or create a new coverage and set it active

* Choose Shapes -> Feature Objects

* The GIS to Feature Objects Wizard will open

** I am assuming your polygons have a field you want to map to the "Material", for example a "TEXTURE" field - Find the field you want to map to the polygon "Material" in SMS and select "Material" from the combo box below that field.

* Click Next

* Click Finish - the active coverage will now contain the polygons from the shape file, with the assigned material type

If you need the steps with ArcView enabled, please let us know.

If you turn on "Polygon - Fill" and the "Legend" in the map module display options, you will be able to see the materials assigned to each polygon.

I have submitted a request to improve the documentation on the XMS wiki regarding the GIS features in SMS.