GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Mick

Conversion of GW Vistas models to GMS

Hello Forum,

I am attempting to convert several models (some steady state only, and some transient) from the GW Vistas GUI to GMS.

Ultimately I wish not only to be able to run the models from within GMS, but to maintain the user functionality which was created from within the GW Vistas environment. Specifically, zones created for Hydraulic conductivity, storage, recharge, and evapotranspiration etc will need to maintained, hence that parameters applied to these zones can be altered within GMS.

My methodology thus far, has been:

- To export all property shapefiles from the GW Vistas model

- To open the modflow .nam file (created using MF 96 or 2000)

- To georeference the model domain

- To build a new conceptual model object

- To build the required coverages

- To import the required shapefiles

- To map the shapefiles to the coverages

At this point, I thought it is worth stopping and seeking some specific GMS advice, before proceeding any further.

Before I get into the nitty gritty of my questions, my plan from here, would be:

- To Initialise MODFLOW

- To activate the cells in the coverage

- To map to MODFLOW, and to re-run the model(s) to check the model output.

Here are the questions which I have:

- Without Arc Objects enabled, when you map shapefiles to the coverages, the FID fields become inverted (that is flipped in the sorting order), is there any reason for this?

- If I dissolve the polygon shapefiles based on the parameter specific zones, then it causes issues when I perform the shapefile to feature objects conversion [Error: An outside polygon with ID18 for the current inside polygon was not found] I presume this is to do with topology, and hence, have until now performed a clean function on the shapefile (after dissolving it), prior to mapping the shapefile to feature objects. The net result is that I get multiple polygons in the coverage for the same zone, which I would like to avoid if possible. I am thinking of converting the shapefile to an Arc Coverage and using the Arc Objects > Feature Objects to help eliminate potential errors, but then again, when I perform that conversion, I'm guessing that the mutipart features in the shapefile will be broken down to individual arcs.

- Is there some way of grouping like polygons in the created conceptual model coverages, or is there simply a better way to map shapefiles to Feature objects within GMS?

- When I first open the models, even if they have been run in MF2000, they open with the BCF package. As I need to specify vertical hydraulic conductivity in my models, I'm assuming that I need to specify my conceptual model as having a LPF flow model. Will this cause any problems when it comes time to map my coverages to Modflow?

I think this is probably enough questions for now, as I progress, I'll endeavour to post more specific questions on the site. I appreciate any help, and will endeavour to help out on other topics where I can.

Kind regards, Mick