GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
yefei

Bouss2D Spectrum Source File Does Not Work

Hi All:

Recently I am working with Bouss2D model of SMS10.0Beta on WinXP platform.

I tried to use a random spectrum source file as the input of irregular multidiectional wavemaker, but fatal error occured when I started to run the model.

Then I thought maybe there was restriction on the input spectrum file, therefore I used "spectral energy" function on the "Bouss-2D" to generate a very regular spectrum file, say:

"with the default grid setting, a Jonswap spectrum of Hs=4m, Tp=20s, angle=180 degree, standard deviation=5 by the wrapped normal directional spreading distribution, gauge depth=0.001."

Then I exported the spectra as a dws file, and select this file as the input file of spectrum source, I got the error message like this: "fatal error, area of truncated distribution between +/- max_cutoff_angle of the principal wave direction is zero."

The spectrum input file is nothing but the regular Jonswap spectrum, what is this message mean and how to solve it?

I also uploaded the output text file as the reference. Any comment is appreciated. Thanks.

output.txt

I have also run into this problem. Did the latest bugfix take care of this?

FJ

I don't know. I have not got chance to test this problem. But from the sms website, I got this:

Intermediate release SMS 10.0.1 - February 19, 2008

Pasted from <http://www.xmswiki.com/index.php?title=SMS:Bugfixes_SMS>

• Fixed various problems with the spectral energy dialog

I hope something is related wth it.

I don't know. I have not got chance to test this problem. But from the sms website, I got this:

Intermediate release SMS 10.0.1 - February 19, 2008

• Fixed various problems with the spectral energy dialog

I hope something is related wth it.

Could you please email the exact steps you took to get this error. I set up the tutorial with the parameters you set except you didn't give a gamma value so I used 3.3. I exported it as a .dws file and imported it back in and ran BOUSS-2D. It ran for me with no problem.

Here is the email:

support@aquaveo.com

Cameron Jenkins

Could you please email the exact steps you took to get this error. I set up the tutorial with the parameters you set except you didn't give a gamma value so I used 3.3. I exported it as a .dws file and imported it back in and ran BOUSS-2D. It ran for me with no problem.

Here is the email:

support@aquaveo.com

Cameron Jenkins

Hi Cameron:

First of all, which version of SMS do you use? It seems to me that version 9.2 and 10.0 beta does not work.

Second, the exact steps are simple. Create a directional spectrum file *.dws with random spectrum input. The most simple way would be exporting certain directional spectrum from "spectral energy" menu for Bouss2D model. Then instead of configuring wave input parameters, we just input this *.dws file as wave generation. Hopefully you got what I mean.

Thank you.

Hi,

was there a follow up to this post?

I am experiencing similar problems with SMS version 11.0.12.

I am creating a *.dws file with the "sprectral energy" tab in the bouss2d model and then importing it as a "spectrum source" file in the "wavemaker" window. Regarless of the spectra I define (shape, direction, frequency, etc), the imported *.dws file always has a wave direction that is parallel to the wavemaker.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Best regards,

Victoria