GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris Blount

Questions about STWAVE modeling

I have a couple of questions about STWAVE. I'm trying to couple STWAVE and ADCIRC results for the coast of Oman. The only wave data I have is from a WaveWatch 3 grid point from the global domain. I'm using this essentially as buoy data.

1.) I'm using the half plane model with surge/currents. I've tried using it with the wind field obtained from ADCIRC, but it doesn't seem to ever proceed in the computations once I start it. Should adding the wind be huge computational burden?

2.) My results with just the surge/currents look a little unusual with several parallel sets of closed contours (see attached image). Anyone have some advice as to why this is happening?

3.) The ADCIRC solution I have is loaded in half hour increments. STWAVE is being run every 3 hour increments (which corresponds to the WW3 output). When I add the boundary conditions from my spectrum file, the matching time steps for the surge/currents show correctly. If I leave the BC screen and come back to it later, those boxes are blank but the spectrum is still loaded correctly. In the .sim file, it still shows that it is using surge and currents, but I'm not sure if it's using the right ones because when I load the solution, the simulations show up in the time step box every half hour instead of every three hours. So are the wrong ADCIRC time steps being used or is there a bug in the loading of the simulations?

Chris

post-35-1228406269_thumb.jpg

3.) The ADCIRC solution I have is loaded in half hour increments. STWAVE is being run every 3 hour increments (which corresponds to the WW3 output). When I add the boundary conditions from my spectrum file, the matching time steps for the surge/currents show correctly. If I leave the BC screen and come back to it later, those boxes are blank but the spectrum is still loaded correctly. In the .sim file, it still shows that it is using surge and currents, but I'm not sure if it's using the right ones because when I load the solution, the simulations show up in the time step box every half hour instead of every three hours. So are the wrong ADCIRC time steps being used or is there a bug in the loading of the simulations?

Chris,

If possible, please send your files to Technical Support so we can determine if this is a problem with SMS.

Thanks,

John