GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gio

M2d Grid

Hi,

I am trying to use M2d and i am having some problems dealing with grid dimension and time step simulation. I am wondering which is the maximum number of cells that I can use in order to run the program successfully.

Right now, I am using a grid 1800mx4050m with square cell 15 m wide but it doesn't run properly and it also takes so much time, can someone help me?

thank you

gio

I'm not sure what limits M2D has on the number of cells. The number of cells is limited inside of SMS by the amount of RAM that a 32bit process can use (2 Gigabytes). A grid 1800x4050 would be over 7 million cells which I don't think SMS could handle.

M2D supports cell refinement. You might want to generate a grid that has 15 m cells in your area of interest and larger cells away from your area of interest. You could also look into a model such as ADCIRC which supports very small and very large elements in the same domain.

PS I moved this topic from wave models to hydraulic models because M2D is a hyrdaulic model.

Hi,

I am trying to use M2d and i am having some problems dealing with grid dimension and time step simulation. I am wondering which is the maximum number of cells that I can use in order to run the program successfully.

Right now, I am using a grid 1800mx4050m with square cell 15 m wide but it doesn't run properly and it also takes so much time, can someone help me?

thank you

gio

Hi, it is me again!

thank you for the reply!

I'm not sure what limits M2D has on the number of cells. The number of cells is limited inside of SMS by the amount of RAM that a 32bit process can use (2 Gigabytes). A grid 1800x4050 would be over 7 million cells which I don't think SMS could handle.

Actually, the number of cells is 32400 because the cell is a square of 15m side.

PS I moved this topic from wave models to hydraulic models because M2D is a hyrdaulic model.

sorry for that!

I am trying to do the steering with the WABED. The M2d grid is smaller than the Wabed one but i would like to know if there are any limitations in positioning the m2d grid:

- how far from the shore it has to be placed in order to not affect the results?

- has the origin of the m2d grid to be placed on the border of the WABED grid?

- one or more vertices of the m2d grid has to dovetail?

thank you so much

gio

p.s= I did the steering few times and i noticed that some cells of the wabed that i assigned as land became ocean. why????

thank you

About M2D-WABED Steering... The steering module was designed with the assumption that the M2D grid would be at least as large or larger than the WABED grid. There are routines for extrapolating from WABED to M2D, but not M2D to WABED. What this means is that if you are steering with currents, the interpolated currents on the WABED grid will be set to zero outside the M2D domain.

About the WABED land cells that become ocean... The steering module updates the depths of the WABED model based on the water surface solution from M2D. If you have WABED cells that you want to remain dry, then assign large negative values to the land cells so that they stay dry.