GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris24

Insert new mesh in existing mesh

Hi there

I am desperately trying to insert a new part of a mesh into an existing mesh. First I tried to insert the new nodes into the existing mesh and then trying to cut out the old elements of the existing mesh with the boundaries from the new mesh (there should be now a "hole" where I can append the new mesh) But the system is either running out of memory ??!! or is crashing.

The existing mesh contains about 56000 points and the new part about 6000 points. I think this isn't too big for SMS or my system.

I am working with SMS V10 including the newest patch.

Any suggestions or hints?

Thanks

greetz

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

When inserting a new mesh into an old mesh, be sure to leave a transition zone between the two meshes - the "hole" you are appending the new mesh into should be larger than than the new mesh.

If that doesn't work, please contact technical support and send them your files so we can see if there is a problem.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. But when I leave a transition zone, I have to link the two meshes manually (gaps between the two meshes-> attachment) and I want to avoid that. Usually, there is absolutely no problem to do it as I described in my other post.

greetz

• Like 1

Chris,

To automatically fill the transition zone:

1. Create a new coverage that is empty and set to the model type you are using.

2. In the 2D Mesh module, select the menu command "Data | Mesh -> Map"

3. Select "Mesh Boundaries -> Polygons"

4. At this point you may want to delete all arcs except for the arcs defining the transition area polygon.

5. Switch to the map module and select "Feature Objects | Build polygons"

6. Double click on the transition area polygon and set the meshing parameters - you will probably want to use paving for the mesh generation.

7. Once meshing parameters are set, select the menu "Feature Objects | Map -> 2D Mesh"

8. In the 2D Mesh Options dialog, uncheck "Delete existing mesh"

You should now have a transition between the two meshes. From your screen capture, I believe you will want to make the transition polygon / hole a bit larger between the two meshes to allow for a good transition between the more refined river and less refined floodplain.

- John

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks again for your reply.

Thats exactly how I tried it today, but the programm is crashing while linking the two meshes with paving.

Well, I think I have to "fill" up the gap between the two meshes manually.

greetz

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

Is it possible for you to contact Technical Support and send them your files? I would like to take a look at it and see if I can determine what is making SMS crash so we can fix the problem. Let them know John Howlett requested the files.

Thank you,

John

• Like 1

Chris,

We received your files today. I will submit them for review and let you know what we find out.

- John

• Like 1

Chris,

We have determined that merging the two meshes requires more memory than a 32 bit operating system can allocate to SMS. You may want to try splitting the mesh into smaller sections and merging them incrementally.

John

• Like 1

Chris,

We have determined that merging the two meshes requires more memory than a 32 bit operating system can allocate to SMS. You may want to try splitting the mesh into smaller sections and merging them incrementally.

John

I would like to ask something. I am trying to do the exact same thing with Chris24. I have a small mesh with 12000 elements and I try to append this small mesh into a larger (1million elements, 500000 nodes) mesh. I got the necessary hole in the big mesh and removed all the clashing nodes.

Following the below procedure, my machine crashes when meshing (after 8th step) This is using SMS 10.0.11

When I am using the same meshes in SMS 10.1, it crashes at step 3 when trying to create the polygons.

To automatically fill the transition zone:

1. Create a new coverage that is empty and set to the model type you are using.

2. In the 2D Mesh module, select the menu command "Data | Mesh -> Map"

3. Select "Mesh Boundaries -> Polygons"

4. At this point you may want to delete all arcs except for the arcs defining the transition area polygon.

5. Switch to the map module and select "Feature Objects | Build polygons"

6. Double click on the transition area polygon and set the meshing parameters - you will probably want to use paving for the mesh generation.

7. Once meshing parameters are set, select the menu "Feature Objects | Map -> 2D Mesh"

8. In the 2D Mesh Options dialog, uncheck "Delete existing mesh"

My desktop pc specs:

DELL Precision T3400

Intel Core 2 Extreme

CPU Q6850 @3.00GHz

8GB of RAM

Microsoft XP

Professional x64 Edition

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Onur

• Like 1

Onur,

Is it possible for you to contact Technical Support and send them your files so we can try to pinpoint the problem?

Thank you,

John

• Like 1

Onur,

Is it possible for you to contact Technical Support and send them your files so we can try to pinpoint the problem?

Thank you,

John

I will make sure that I have the permission to send the files out first. If I do, I will definitely contact the technical support.

Thank you

Onur

Edit: Ok, I contacted the technical support. I recreated the problem with a much smaller mesh grid.

Edited by M O K
  • Like 1

Onur,

Thank you - it is much easier to fix problems with a smaller case. I will keep you updated of any progress we make.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

Hi,

I know that this is slightly off this particular topic, but it is related. I have seen a few years ago a tutorial about how to insert one mesh into another, now of course I can't find it. I am trying to get someone else to be able to do this and I was wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

I know that this is slightly off this particular topic, but it is related. I have seen a few years ago a tutorial about how to insert one mesh into another, now of course I can't find it. I am trying to get someone else to be able to do this and I was wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Ian

Ian, this is probably what you're talking about.

Chris

14_Lesson04.pdf

is it possible to get the other lessons from that tutorial?

Sorry, I don't have the other tutorials. I kept that from when someone else asked about it. The only tutorials I have are the ones that come with versions 9.0+.

Chris

is it possible to get the other lessons from that tutorial?

The tutorial Chris posted is part of the lessons from the Coastal Training Course. You can register for the training course at Aquaveo.com.

Hi there

I'm getting up this topic once again.

Same task, new problems.

I am trying to insert a mesh (river bed) into an existing mesh (flood plain) in SMS 10.1.4 64bit.

After inserting the new mesh in SMS 10.1 it appears a gap between the two meshes. The elements in the transition zone were deleted.

Same procedure in SMS 10 works fine, no gap! With the same settings and options!

That's quite annoying! Some tasks just doesn't work in SMS 10.1 and when trying the old version, everything works fine, but I can't save the resulting mesh because the new dongle (SMS 10.1) doesn't fit for the old version!

Can you please get this software to work properly or at least make it possible to use the old versions with the new dongle! :angry:

So long

Chris

post-309-126751627339_thumb.jpg

post-309-126751629422_thumb.jpg

Hi there

I'm getting up this topic once again.

Same task, new problems.

I am trying to insert a mesh (river bed) into an existing mesh (flood plain) in SMS 10.1.4 64bit.

After inserting the new mesh in SMS 10.1 it appears a gap between the two meshes. The elements in the transition zone were deleted.

Same procedure in SMS 10 works fine, no gap! With the same settings and options!

That's quite annoying! Some tasks just doesn't work in SMS 10.1 and when trying the old version, everything works fine, but I can't save the resulting mesh because the new dongle (SMS 10.1) doesn't fit for the old version!

Can you please get this software to work properly or at least make it possible to use the old versions with the new dongle! :angry:

So long

Chris

Chris, I've had a similar problem when I tried merging meshes. However, try going to Nodes -> Options and check "Retriangulate voids when deleting" if it isn't already. Please let me know if merging with this option on works. I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to try it myself when I needed to merge meshes again.

Chris

Chris, I've had a similar problem when I tried merging meshes. However, try going to Nodes -> Options and check "Retriangulate voids when deleting" if it isn't already. Please let me know if merging with this option on works. I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to try it myself when I needed to merge meshes again.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for your answer. I've tried inserting and merging some other meshes with checked option "Retriangulate voids when deleting".

But the result is still same, the elements between the meshes were deleted.

The same procedure in SMS 10 with and without the option "Retriangulate voids when deleting" works perfectly fine.

@ aquaveo:

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can't save the resulting mesh in SMS 10 with the "new" dongle....

greetz

Edited by Chris24

@ Chris

Merging meshes doesn't work since Version 10.1.3!!!

Just reinstalled 10.1.2. With this version merging meshes is no problem at all! :angry:

so long