GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan Perry

Obstructions not recognized in SRH-2D simulations

Hi forum!

I'm a first-time user of SMS and SRH-2D. My question to group is, has anyone had trouble getting obstructions to apply to their model run, or know special tricks to get program to recognize and apply the obstruction? I started with a feature line stretching part-ways across a channel in order to divert more water into another, to represent a jumble of beaver-cut logs that I observed in the field which are generating a new flow pattern. That didn't cause any effects. I began playing with the obstruction layer until it consisted of a long solid 50-ft tall wall across the main branch of the channel, plus several point obstructions with large diameters around it to see if I could generate a change. It had zero effects. I have completely deleted the obstruction layer and tried building a new one in a different location. I also tried it at very low (to match a field measurement Q) and at very high (Q100) flood values, still to no effect. The obstruction coverage is definitely associated to my SRH simulations.

I believe I have set my Z elevation correctly (represents bottom of the obstruction), set a wide obstruction width, set Z thickness higher than WSE, included an appropriate drag coefficient, and played with porosity values between 0-1. What am I missing? Do I need to line up obstructions on mesh nodes, completely regenerate a new mesh, or is there some other trick to getting program to recognize it? Do I need to delete output files somewhere so that program knows it should rewrite them?

I have read the SMS user manual on this topic which doesn't say much about troubleshooting. After adding the obstruction with no effects, I also went back and took the tutorial on this subject and the features that I created in the tutorial worked just fine when I ran that simulation.

Screen capture below showing z elevation, obstruction parameters, approximate elevation of WSE, and obstruction location provided. This is just one scenario I've tested in order to just try to elicit a response from the model.

1337849332_SMSScreenCapture.thumb.PNG.6158fecaf160544249b84f0f5e4cd376.PNG

SMS ScreenCapture.PNG