GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
SteveJL486

Basins not delineated

While delineating many basins from a DEM, after computing TOPAZ and placing stream outlets on the flow accumulation cells, i run the delineation wizard and streamlines and most basins are generated. There are several smaller areas where I placed an outlet that a basin was generated in the DEM a streamline feature was created from the flow accumulation, but no basin polygon was generated from the DEM basin. On several occasions, I was able to select the outlet and convert basin to polygon for that basin, but not on all basins. Any suggestions? I am using version 7.1.

Steve

While delineating many basins from a DEM, after computing TOPAZ and placing stream outlets on the flow accumulation cells, i run the delineation wizard and streamlines and most basins are generated. There are several smaller areas where I placed an outlet that a basin was generated in the DEM a streamline feature was created from the flow accumulation, but no basin polygon was generated from the DEM basin. On several occasions, I was able to select the outlet and convert basin to polygon for that basin, but not on all basins. Any suggestions? I am using version 7.1.

Steve

Steve,

Just got your call - sorry I've been out of the office. I ran WMS 7.1 this morning but couldn't reproduce the bug. You might want to try running the basin delineation steps individually instead of using the wizard. So run TOPAZ, place your outlets, then select DEM->Stream Arcs, then Define Basins, then Basins->Polygons, then Compute Basin Data. If that doesn't work, you could send your files to tech support and they could take a look at it for you. Be aware that if we reproduce the bug, the best we can do is help you find a work around since we no longer fix bugs in 7.1. Your surest bet is to upgrade to WMS 8.1 since this represents two full versions of upgrades and bug fixes since 7.1.

Good luck!

I found something interesting. It appears that the basins that are not being delineated have multiple outlet points stacked on top of each other (by the hundreds). When I delete them all, re-create a single outlet, and run the delineate basin wizard the basin is delineated as expected. It seems that when I run, some points are being duplicated at the begining of the process and the basin for those outlets disappears. Any thoughts on how I can keep this from happening, or a way to screen for multiple outlets in one cell location?

Thanks.

Steve

The last 7.1 update is dated 11/14/06. You can download it here: ftp://ftp.ems-i.com/download/WMS/WMS%207.1/wms71exe.exe I can't promise this will fix your problem, but it will give you a much more stable version of 7.1 than you've got now.

There is no way to check for multiple outlets in the same location. The only way to get around it is to do what you're doing now.

Have you considered upgrading to WMS 8.1? If you do it comes with a 1-year maintenance agreement which would give you access to full tech support and all updates and upgrades for a entire year. You'd get much more help that way for sure. It's well worth the minor upgrade fee if you ask me.