GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
M. McBroom

FESWMS: Modeling Lakes in Delta

I am modeling a large delta having a number of lakes. Most of the lakes are hydraulically isolated unless overbank flow occurs. I have bathymetry for some of the lakes but not all. In cases where bathymetry is lacking and lakes are hydraulically isolated (no defined inflow/outflow channels) could I apply a material property that would adequately represent the lakes? Or would it be better to assume the bathymetry using that of a similar lake? Also, if I do use bathymetry of isolated lakes will there be issues modeling low (e.g. 2-yr recurrence interval) flows using a cold start? In short I'm trying to find a way to adequately model overbank floods where lakes are prominent and bathymetric data is limited.

Thanks for your input

Hi,

I think your best bet is to try to make your bathymetry match the real case as best you can. If you need to estimate bathymetry using nearby information, I think that is best.

You also need to think about the modeling that you are using. The scenario that you are describing will not work well with RMA2 or FESWMS and I would recommend using TUFLOW. Both RMA2 and FESWMS require everything to be wet during a cold start and often have problems with isolated pools. TUFLOW is much more stable with wetting and drying, allows you to start with an all dry model (or with standing water in disjoint lakes), handles dynamic situations much better, and will switch to upstream controlled flow automatically if necessary (in RMA2/FESWMS you would need to define a weir).

I am modeling a large delta having a number of lakes. Most of the lakes are hydraulically isolated unless overbank flow occurs. I have bathymetry for some of the lakes but not all. In cases where bathymetry is lacking and lakes are hydraulically isolated (no defined inflow/outflow channels) could I apply a material property that would adequately represent the lakes? Or would it be better to assume the bathymetry using that of a similar lake? Also, if I do use bathymetry of isolated lakes will there be issues modeling low (e.g. 2-yr recurrence interval) flows using a cold start? In short I'm trying to find a way to adequately model overbank floods where lakes are prominent and bathymetric data is limited.

Thanks for your input