GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Fernando

Angle relaxation method

When I use angle relaxation method in a mesh it seems to me that it doesn’t work right. In the SMS wiki the explanation of Angle relax is that it equalizes the angle of elements adjacent to each node, but when I use it there are some areas of the mesh where the elements connected with the same node becomes very different from each other, some elements with angles of about 110 – 120 degrees and others with angles less than 30 degrees. The more I relax the mesh, the worst it stays. I was expecting to achieve results similar to a procedure call springs used in xmgredit (a mesh editor and generator) but I can’t. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if there are some options that I must change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fernando

Please contact technical support at support@aquaveo.com. They will give you instructions on where you can upload your files so we can take a look at it and see if there is a bug that needs fixing.

When I use angle relaxation method in a mesh it seems to me that it doesn’t work right. In the SMS wiki the explanation of Angle relax is that it equalizes the angle of elements adjacent to each node, but when I use it there are some areas of the mesh where the elements connected with the same node becomes very different from each other, some elements with angles of about 110 – 120 degrees and others with angles less than 30 degrees. The more I relax the mesh, the worst it stays. I was expecting to achieve results similar to a procedure call springs used in xmgredit (a mesh editor and generator) but I can’t. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if there are some options that I must change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fernando

Fernando,

We have received your files and I have submitted them for review.

Thanks,

John

Fernando,

I was able to look into the issue you reported. I found an issue with the "Allow sliding on mesh boundary" option, which will be fixed in our next update of SMS. Once this update is available, use the "Allow sliding on mesh boundary" option in the Element Options dialog? Try using this option and various "Sliding angles" . When I turned on this option, the results were much better.

The number of relaxation iterations should usually be kept low. Significant modifications of mesh nodal locations / density / connectivity should be handled using the mesh generation options rather than relaxation.

I also discovered that elements 41429 and 41419 in the mesh you sent to tech support are overlapping elements (nodes 2119, 11099, 11024) through the Mesh | Check Mesh command.