GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Hydrology

Imagery Stopped Displaying

I have been working with a GMS model with two TIFF files for background information.  After several days of working correctly, the model stopped displaying the imagery.  It always took a long time to display them, but after 30 sec to a minute they would display.  I deleted the images and reopened them but GMS still does not diaplay them.  I tried closing GMS and reopening it, but GMS will still not display them.  Does anybody know what is causing this, or have a workaround?

I experienced the same problem when working with the TIFF on the server. I saved the files locally on my computer instead, which solved the display problem.

The files are local, but are on a different drive than the model files.  I will try moving them to the GMS model directory and see if that helps.

I think that the problem ended up being a conflict between GMS and our firewall "Comodo".  GMS creates 5 or 6 batch files in the Temp directory every time you zoom or pan the display.  It then executes the batch files sequentially to redraw the bitmap.  Our firewall would send up a popup every time GMS executed one of those batch files because batch files can be a big security risk.  These popups would often occur 300 to 500 times during a single GMS session.  I tried turning the firewall off to avoid the warnings, and that is what caused GMS to stop displaying bitmapped graphics completely.  But, I found that by uninstalling the firewall completely from the workstation, GMS started displaying bitmapped graphics again.  Turning the firewall off was not enough, you need to uninstall it completely from your computer.  So if you are having trouble displaying bitmapped graphics, you need to uninstall your firewall.  Not a great thing to do, but you don't have much of a choice with the weird way bitmaps are redrawn in GMS.

Hopefully this is the fix and GMS will continue to work.  I will repost if the problem comes back. 

Edited by Hydrology