GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rublo

3d baroclinic runs

Hi,

I have a license of SMS 9.2 and I would know if the baroclinic 3d runs are implemented in ADCIRC version.

Thank you

While SMS does not support ADCIRC 3D the version of ADCIRC released with SMS 9.2 can be used in to simulate a 3D baroclinic model run, you just need to edit the command file accordingly (which is not straight forward). I suggest you have a look at the ADCIRC development page (http://www.adcirc.org) and specifically at the manual and examples (there is a 3D baroclinic example). In terms of 3D modelling however, don't expect much support from the developers, and non from the SMS support as they only support the 2D version. You will also have to write your own visualization software (suggest Matlab) to view the model solution in 3D.

Another alternative is to try the hydrodynamic model SELFE (free to download the code... you just need to compile), which uses a near identical grid structure to ADCIRC (only boundary header lines are different) and is fast and efficient to run.

While SMS does not support ADCIRC 3D the version of ADCIRC released with SMS 9.2 can be used in to simulate a 3D baroclinic model run, you just need to edit the command file accordingly (which is not straight forward). I suggest you have a look at the ADCIRC development page (http://www.adcirc.org) and specifically at the manual and examples (there is a 3D baroclinic example). In terms of 3D modelling however, don't expect much support from the developers, and non from the SMS support as they only support the 2D version. You will also have to write your own visualization software (suggest Matlab) to view the model solution in 3D.

Another alternative is to try the hydrodynamic model SELFE (free to download the code... you just need to compile), which uses a near identical grid structure to ADCIRC (only boundary header lines are different) and is fast and efficient to run.

Thank you very much Brett. You give me a valuable aid. :lol:

hi Brett,

I would like to know how to run adcirc in dos outside sms. Which command line I have to use?

Thank you in advance

For SMS v9.0 and earlier, you have to run ADCIRC through SMS if you purchased ADCIRC with SMS because of how the model was licensed. For SMS v9.2 and higher, you can run ADCIRC from a DOS prompt. I don't believe ADCIRC receives any command line arguments, but you will need to rename your files to fort.xx for ADCIRC to recognize the input. For example, the grid file is fort.14 and the control file is fort.15.