GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
waterrocks

wall boundary troubles in sms/srh

Hi all

I am trying to use a wall for an internal boundary condition for an island to stop water from overtopping it. I keep getting errors that say can't have overlapping nodestrings, but none are overlapping. I am also getting srh errors (#51) about mesh connectivity.  I have tried to renumber the mesh but that has not worked.  

Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance:)

You cannot use a wall as an internal boundary condition.  If you turn on Snap Preview (Shift+Q) after selecting the BC coverage in your simulation, you will see where it is actually being applied (mapped) .  If you wish to block flow across an island, you could either raise the mesh elevations, or place two arcs for a weir BC and specify a high weir elevation.  The area between the two arcs is excluded from the 2D calculations and replaced with the weir calculation.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hogans said:

You cannot use a wall as an internal boundary condition.  If you turn on Snap Preview (Shift+Q) after selecting the BC coverage in your simulation, you will see where it is actually being applied (mapped) .  If you wish to block flow across an island, you could either raise the mesh elevations, or place two arcs for a weir BC and specify a high weir elevation.  The area between the two arcs is excluded from the 2D calculations and replaced with the weir calculation.

I had not seen that you can't use it internally. It seems odd because SMS says that wall boundaries can be used for islands and banks. See 8:03 in this youtube video: 

I found out that Aquaveo is having trouble with wall boundaries, but they will not give me the fix because I am using the community version.

Kind of lame, but I guess I'll make my own workaround. 

I am not aware of the trouble with wall boundaries, but I am fairly certain that you cannot use these as an internal mesh boundary.  The reference to using them along islands and channel banks assumes that there is a hole/void in the mesh that creates an external boundary.