GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chiara

Runtime Error when converting linear to quadratic

I have a 2D mesh that I wish to convert from linear to quadratic in order to run an RMA2 model. However each time I try to perform this operation by clicking (in the Mesh Module) Elements\Linear <-> Quadratic, the program gives me a runtime error and closes down the program. What's the problem here and how can I fix it? I have installed the new update SMS 10.0.7 but this did not help.

Thanks

Chiara

Chiara,

Without seeing your files it is hard to tell what is causing this. The most likely scenario is that your machine is running out of memory. How big is your mesh? How much RAM does your machine have? Can you convert from linear to quadratic with a smaller mesh? If possible, please contact Technical Support and send them your files.

Thanks,

John

When I started up SMS this morning and again tried the Linear <-> Quadratic function, it worked. I am not sure why it worked today since nothing in my set up has changed since yesterday. It may be attributed to more space being available on the local network. The mesh I have is around 900km2- a 100m grid combined with some 1m contours. My computer is an IntelĀ® Core 2 Dup CPU E6550 @2.33GHz with 2GB of RAM.

However, I got the same Runtime Error regarding the SMS .exe file (sms100.exe) for no apparant reason just now. I was simply panning and the error came up, freezing the program and forced it to shut down (losing my work). I was working off the c:/ as well. Any thoughts on what could be causing this Runtime error? Yesterday I got the same error on another computer, so I'm pretty sure my computers ok. :(

Thanks

Chiara,

The mesh you are working with appears to be quite dense and you have two scatter sets read in also. In a 32-bit windows operating system, a single process is limited to access 3 GB of memory. You could try to:

* Work with a less dense mesh

* Trim the mesh down so it is smaller

* Only load scatter sets when you are using them

Since you are pushing SMS to its limits, be sure to make backups of your files and save often.

How many nodes and elements do you have in the mesh?

How many vertices and tris are in each of the scatter sets?

Also, as you are now doing, it is recommended to work with files on a local drive rather than over the network. This is also true when running models since models require a significant amount of file reading/writing.

Thanks,

John