GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
SAKURA1

Error : Soild to Modflow

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I tried to create a Modflow model from Solid layers using Aquaveo GMS 10.4 but I got an error like the attached figure.

Do you have the experience to solve this error? Please help me! 

Thank you very much, 

Yours sincerely, 

T.An, 

Aquaveo GMS_error.png

Please make the boundaries that are used to create solids little bit larger than the boundaries used to make the modflow grid so that solids would cover the grid sufficiently (make a buffer). Sometimes, grid cells are created that crosses out the boundaries (when using specified heads for example). If the same boundaries are used to create solids, then those solids do not cover these boundary cells and provide this error.

Dear Lalith

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I cannot solve this problem. You can see in the Figure after extending the boundary of the study area the Model created another error. 

Could you or everybody please help me to solve it. If you don't mind I could send my model to your email then you could check it easily. 

Again, thank you very much for your great help. 

Yours sincerely,

An, 

Error GMS.png

Hi,

Why are your horizons so much off from the solids? Where is your grid? is it completely inside your solids? Can you make only the solid edges and remove the solid faces and also add the grid with a different specified color. I would like to see both the grid and solids frames in the same figure.

best,

Lalith

Dear Lalith, 

Thank you very much for your reply. I solved the problem but I got other errors as the attached figure. 

Would you please give me advise on solving these errors?

Kind regards, 

An, 

Errors GMS2019.png

Warnings are not always a problem.  The Cell Dimensions warning is telling you that the model results will be better if you have a smoother transition from smaller cells to larger cells (this will often come up based on layer thickness differences).  The model will still work - this isn't usually a big concern.

The second set of warnings is pretty clear - you need to establish hydraulic conductivities in layers 4 through 8....check your materials.  You can also make these changes in other ways by opening the LPF package and editing layers individually, or by making coverages for each layer.

1 hour ago, Sean Czarniecki said:

Dear Sean Czarniecki,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I would like to fix the  Warning:  Cell dimensions change more than 50% between cells i=1, j=1, k=3, and i=1, j=1, k=4.

Could you please give a solution to fix it?

Kind regards, 

An,

The only ways you can fix this is to either add more layers or change the thickness of your layers.....neither of which you probably want to do.  If you read up on MODFLOW, you will see that it prefers if you don't make big transitions, but it will still be okay if you have them.  We often have a thin confining layer (e.g., 1 m thick) above a thicker layer.  For that warning to go away, you would have to make the next layer below no greater than 1.5 m thick, then another below that no greater than 2.25 m thick.....etc.  You can see that this is often not practical.  I suggest you don't worry about that warning.  Other people may feel differently.

Dear Sean Czarniecki,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. If these warnings do not influence the accuracy of modeling results I will go to the next steps. 

Kind regards, 

An, 

Hi Sakura, I didn't get a chance to read the forum in a while. Sean has given you all the correct advice. You are in good hands. In summary, I would try running the model and would not worry about the warning at this stage.