GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Jim

Import 3-D hyraulic conductivity array into GMS modflow

I need to import horizontal hydraulic conductivity data generated by another program into GMS MODFLOW. My current MODFLOW model is based on a simple 100 by 100 by 6 grid. I cannot input each value separately because I have numerous output files from the other program to run and each cell will be assigned a different value. I also expect that I will be altering the geometry of the grid based on my results.

The output of the program can be easily converted to csv, txt, or dat formats.

I am deeply appreciative for any help I can get with this seemingly simple problem.

Thank you

Jim B

If your "other program" outputs results with coordinates (scatter points), then you would import them into GMS in that manner and interpolate the data to your grid.

If the "other program" outputs results with one result for each cell, then you have a couple of options:

1) Pull your data into a spreadsheet (as if it were the model grid), copy the data to your clipboard and paste it into the spreadsheet layout of conductivity in GMS (one layer at a time).

2) You can set up a grid in GMS and put in some initial dummy conductivity values (don't make them all the same in each layer). After you save the file, use a text editor outside of GMS to determine the exact format of the conductivity data. You can then just replace the dummy data with your data and open the file again in GMS.

(Those were the very brief descriptions of a couple of options)

Hi Sean, You are right, the "other program" outputs one result for each cell. Option #1 would work but I want to pursue your option #2 a little further.

Can you please be a little more specific as to how I can save the grid file with the HK values in a format that can be read with a text editor such as wordpad. When I use the 3D Data Set -> Grid... in MODFLOW's LPF Package|Horizontal Hydraulic Conductivity window, it bundles the information into the .gpr file and I cant gain access to the information within this file except with the HDFView program.

Thanks once again for your help

Jim B

The actual .lpf file should be under a subfolder with your project name followed by "_MODFLOW" I just checked one of my most recent projects and it was there (and accessible via wordpad), so if you aren't seeing those additional MODFLOW files, perhaps there is something I am missing (are there different ways to save your project files....bundled vs unbundled?).