GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Monika

TUFlow - SMS: Negative Area Calculation

Hello All,

I am trying to run a river model in TUFlow by building mesh with SMS. The following error comes when I try to run it. 

" Negative area calculated for cell 1824" . Please help me with your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Error 1.JPG

There is a couple of things I would try. One thing is I would delete the element and the ones nest to them, and then draw them back manually. Another is changing your boundary shape. Does it need to have that point? Let me know if this helps!

Hi Donald, I have tried to delete this and its neighbouring elements. Then it shows the same error with another element not very near to it. Also I really don't understand what they mean by negative area. Thanks

hmm, I am not sure what it means either. I have never had that error, but it has been a while since I worked with TUflow. Make sure your elevation data extends beyond your mesh domain. You can keep redrawing the elements shown as negative until you cover them all. You could regenerate your mesh with a new domain. Renumber your elements. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thank you Donald. I hope I will get something to understand and solve this problem soon. I am stuck with it for a couple of days. 

Try limiting the minimum interpolation value to zero. For this, you have to go interpolation dialogue and then select truncate values and set the minimum value to zero. Hope, this helps.