GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Donald Hendon

Obstruction question/Feature request

Is there a way to set the height of an obstruction to a certain elevation?

Doesn't appear to be, but I might be missing it. That would come in handy on a project I am doing right now.

Is this for a line or point type obstruction?

In general, for both types of obstructions you can set the height by changing the Z value(s) associated with the line or point . The thickness attribute that is assigned to it then is measured vertically upwards from that elevation.

Cody

Thanks, I am using an arc, and I know I can set the thickness. Here is my issue: There is a deflector in a river. The top elevation is 141'. The ground line along that arc varies from 112.7' to 131.9'. The WSE is 141.9, so it overtops the structure. If it did not overtop, there wouldn't be an issue. The "work around" I am using is to break the length of the deflector into separate arcs the length of a cell and taking the difference of 141' - elevation of each element and using that as the thickness. It would just be easier if I could make the arc got from the ground to a certain elevation, like you do for the low chord when using the pressure flow. 

As the image shows, it is not perfect, but best I can do at the moment.

image.thumb.png.e7cd8c0e7bbc793bf7a5dbb6b6fbfbf4.png

Don,  I recommend representing this structure in the terrain rather than as a blocked obstruction.  Based on what I see in the image, you could simply add an arc (breakline) in your mesh generator coverage to force your element edges to coincide with the feature.  This would make sure the elevations of the feature are reflected in the mesh.   If you need more detailed hydraulic information around the feature you may consider adding multiple arcs or a polygon to the mesh generator with closely space vertices, to generate a more refined mesh in this area.