GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Zbynek

Image/raster display in GMS10.4

Hello all,

I am a long -time user of GMS and I am testing  GMS v. 10.4.1. now.  It seems to me that  in GMS v. 10.4  raster/image layers (tif, jpg) in GIS layers are not visible or displayed correctly (despite from the project  and layer projection settings), even in projects, created and correctly displayed in GMS v. 10.3.  Has anybody experienced the same issue?

Thanks for any reply.

Zbynek

There are changes to the images and projections in GMS 10.4.

GMS 10.3 and earlier used a different library for projections and display of images than 10.4.

We have a fairly large suite of tests that we run to make sure that images and projections are working correctly but there is no way that we are currently testing all configurations. It may be that the particular projection you are working in has a bug in the library that we are using. 

It would be great if you could send the information along to the support team so that we can look at it and fix the issue.

If anyone else runs into a similar problem I would ask them to send the files along to tech support and we will address the issue.

Dear Alan,

Thank you  for your answer and for your assistance.  I tried to read  various images (e.g. aerial images exported from ArcGIS v. 10.3, or  QGis) in tif or jpg formats (incl. correct world files) into GMS v. 10.4.  The images are listed in the project  tree, but the are not visible in the main window.  It does not matter which projection is selected (or even if no projection is selected). I will completelly uninstall GMS and try  clean installation.  Is it possible to have installed versions 10.3 and 10.4 on the same same PC? Please find attached a sample of image files I tried to use.  The default projection for the Czech republic is EPSG 5514 (S-JTSK/Krovak).

Best regards

Zbynek

ruzne.jgw

ruzne.jpg

Zbynek, 

I was able to open and view the files you linked in both the project explorer and the main window. I am running the latest build of GMS, 10.4.1. Let me know if re-installing GMS changes anything for you. You can have both versions 10.4 and 10.3 installed and running at the same time. The exception is that you cannot have, for example GMS 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 installed at the same time, it must be one or the other.

Feel free to send any questions over to Aquaveo's Technical Support Team at support@aquaveo.com.

-Ben

There probably could  be two different issues:

It seems to me that it is possible to read in certain raster/image files only if the path to this file contains  only  basic ascii characters, without  characters like a ě š č ř í (which are allowed  for path names in Windows system,  CP 1250). I was able  to read  in  the GMS and correctly display  image ruzne.jpg with a world file only if it  the  path  to  this file does not  contain East European characters (but path to the GMS project can contain any of  these  characters...).

On the  other  hand, I was not able ro read in any raster, which contains a projection information in the file header (GTiff), e.g. Geotiff exported from  the ArcGIS. There could be probable some confusion in the  projection definition. The correct EPSG code for projection currently used in the Czech Republic is  5514, but  ESRI used in the past for this projection its own code  102067. I could upload a sample of a GTiff file somewhere for testing, but  the size of file exceeds limits of this forum.
Zbynek