GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Hydrology

Animation over multiple Model Runs

Hi, I am trying to make an animation of drawdown contours that spans several models.  The first model is a transient run from Time-1 to Time-2 and reflects a specific model condition.  I then duplicate that gms model and remove a barrier.  I then run this second model in transient mode from Time-2 to Time-3.  The starting gw level for the second model is set at the 3d surface of the last step from the first model. 

I can create animations for each of the two models and merge them together.  This works fine for actual gw elevation contours, but it does not for drawdown contours, because the drawdown for model 2 starts at the starting gw for the second model, not the starting gw of the first model.  It need to have the second model calculate the drawdown from the starting gw of the first model for the drawdown contours to be continuous between the two models.  Is there any way to get the second model to use the first models starting gw elevation for the drawdown calculations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I think it is not directly posible through MODFLOW, but maybe you could create the second drawdown dataset in postprocessing using GMS data calculator. Just compute difference in head between the first timestep of the first simulation and the transient head dataset of the second sim. That should be the drawdown you are looking for.

Thanks, that is what I ended up doing after tech support pointed me in the right direction.  So far it seems to be working, although the AVI files are coming up with different horz and vert values, so i can't combine them.  I am going to try and generate them again, being vary careful not to change the plan view window in the GMS interface.  I think that the AVI size is set by your window size, so if you change or move your GMS window, the video size changes.