GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Lalith

Constituent across each cell face

Hi,

I have successfully created a Modflow model and a MT3DS models and ran them to determine the groundwater flow field and constituent transport in the ground (figure blow is an example of a constituent plume). Model has 10 layers. This model domain is bounded by ocean from one side (red square).

A separate hydrodynamic model is run for ocean currents and transport to determine the behavior of constituents that seeps to the ocean. My Modflow and MT3DS models are supposed to provide the constituent flux to the ocean (flow and constituent concentration). I would like to get the constituent flux from each of the model grid cells faces in the ocean side. Would you please let me know how to do this?

Thank you,

Lalith

SampleFigure2.thumb.png.9ce19973d4c2650c68cc8c0a28a73315.png

Edited by Lalith

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for showing the option.

This "The package can also compute a mass flux associated with a group of MODFLOW boundary conditions." is the one I was looking for but I was not able to figure it out. Any other detail available on how to calculate flux across the BC conditions from each cell? Please let me know. Your suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank you,

Lalith

You are welcome.

I suggest you to read the MT3DMS v5.3 supplemental manual here:

http://gmsdocs.aquaveo.com/mt3dms_v5_supplemental.pdf

There is a section about the new TOB package. If you need data for each cell of the boundary condition, then you would probably have to prepare the input files by hand and include each BC cell as a mass-flux object/group for which the budget data are going to be saved.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the tip. This is very helpful. I will update you with the progress. I kind of did similar thing to get the flux. Right click on .ccf file and separate them into data sets and one data set is the flow through the constant head BC. Since I know the concentration in each cell, I managed to get the flux across by multiply concentration by flow across.

Thank you again for sharing knowledge.

Lalith

Edited by Lalith