GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Gary Kimball

SRH-2D - Addition of HY-8 Culvert into Proposed Conditions Mesh Crashes Model

I created an existing conditions SRH-2d Model (v 12.3.4) with 4 HY8 culvert structures in a 50-year and 100-year boundary condition, and the model runs well.  Next a proposed conditions mesh was created to include a new railroad embankment located upstream of the existing railroad embankment.  I copied the existing conditions boundary conditions file to create a proposed conditions file, as the existing conditions railroad and track will remain for proposed conditions.  When I try to run the model I get the error message "Program stopped due to the following: MxVtFc limit has been exceeded in add_nbdf.f90, Error Code is: 4".

Does anyone know what this error message means, or how to correct it? 

If I delete all the HY-8 Culverts out of the boundary condition coverage the model runs. If I add any culvert in any location or configuration to the boundary condition coverage, paired with the proposed conditions mesh, I always receive the above error message and the model stops. I have tried to use a new HY8 file and reduced the # of culverts down to one, but I always get this message.  If I pair the proposed conditions boundary file (including culverts) with the existing conditions mesh it runs.  I have attached some screen shots of the error messages.

Gary

SRH_2D Crash Print Screen.docx

You have to go in and reassign each culvert (actually launch it) to the one it is supposed to be. Make sure you load it in as well. Not sure why when you copy it, it breaks the link to HY-8, but it does. Let me know if that does or does not work.

14 minutes ago, Donald Hendon said:

You have to go in and reassign each culvert (actually launch it) to the one it is supposed to be. Make sure you load it in as well. Not sure why when you copy it, it breaks the link to HY-8, but it does. Let me know if that does or does not work.

You are correct, when I copied the boundary condition it did break the culvert links.  I did go back and launch and reassign the culvert links, however, I still get the error message with the proposed conditions mesh.  This was also done when copying the 100-year existing conditions to create the 50-year existing conditions boundary condition coverage, which runs after launching and reassigning the culverts using the same procedure tried with the proposed conditions mesh.

I have had this error before, but can't remember what fixed it. Have you tried running each culvert individually just to see if it will run? This may be a way you can narrow down which culvert is giving you the problem. Also, make sure you have your snap preview on. If these culverts are near where you are changing something in your proposed condition, it could be possible that they are no longer on the correct element face or at the right elevation, both of which will cause problems. If I remember what it was that fixed it, I will come back and let you know. 

I have seen the "end-of-file during read" Fortran error before when my file paths get too long. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem - especially since it runs with a similar configuration, but perhaps the change caused the file path/file name to be a little longer and is exceeding the limit. I've gotten around this issue in the past by moving my project files to a temporary folder directly on my C drive.