GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tjdemunda

BC error in CMS-Flow

I am attempting to run a model in CMS-Flow using a WSE-Tidal constituent boundary condition. The simulation is to run for 96 hours, and the boundary condition data is extracted for the same time period (there is no option to alter duration when extracting the tidal bc). However, the simulation ends after 48 hours, with the message:

READ PAST END OF MULTIPLE WATER-LEVEL DATA FORCING FILE

DATASET IS: PROPERTIES/Model Params/Boundary_#5

I fail to see what the problem is, as the simulation and bc durations are identical. Has anyone else run into this problem?

--Todd

I am attempting to run a model in CMS-Flow using a WSE-Tidal constituent boundary condition. The simulation is to run for 96 hours, and the boundary condition data is extracted for the same time period (there is no option to alter duration when extracting the tidal bc). However, the simulation ends after 48 hours, with the message:

READ PAST END OF MULTIPLE WATER-LEVEL DATA FORCING FILE

DATASET IS: PROPERTIES/Model Params/Boundary_#5

I fail to see what the problem is, as the simulation and bc durations are identical. Has anyone else run into this problem?

--Todd

Update: I created a 192hr simulation, and I get the same error at 96 hours. It seems to be doing this at the halfway point of any given simulation.

Update: I created a 192hr simulation, and I get the same error at 96 hours. It seems to be doing this at the halfway point of any given simulation.

Todd, I believe this was a bug in CMS-Flow. If I am correct, you have two Extracted WL Boundary conditions. This has been corrected and I will send you a link (by email) to where you can get a more recent executable. If this helps, please let me know.

If I am incorrect, please let me know and I will contact you to get more information.

Todd, I believe this was a bug in CMS-Flow. If I am correct, you have two Extracted WL Boundary conditions. This has been corrected and I will send you a link (by email) to where you can get a more recent executable. If this helps, please let me know.

If I am incorrect, please let me know and I will contact you to get more information.

Thanks; I've replaced the executable and am running a new simulation. I will let you know how it works out.

The model crashed at the exact same time with the same error. I am using a single extracted WL BC (one cellstring, 3 sides of the domain). Is there anything else you can think of?

I also commonly get an error along the lines of

** i = 3 eta = 2.637116400357236E+017 etan =

1.758077600238157E+017

** depth = -1.71200000000000 totdep(i) = 1.758077600238157E+017

** u = 0.000000000000000E+000 v = 0.000000000000000E+000

I'd love to know what this is telling me, so I could better troubleshoot the problem.

I also commonly get an error along the lines of

** i = 3 eta = 2.637116400357236E+017 etan =

1.758077600238157E+017

** depth = -1.71200000000000 totdep(i) = 1.758077600238157E+017

** u = 0.000000000000000E+000 v = 0.000000000000000E+000

I'd love to know what this is telling me, so I could better troubleshoot the problem.

This appears to be some debugging information when the model goes unstable, probably due to courant issues.

The variables are as follows:

i = active cell number

eta, etan = water surface elevation for times n-1 and n.

depth = initial depth,

totdep = initial depth + etan

u,v = current velocity components

Lowering your timestep, should help with this problem.

I believe I have your problem solved after finding two misstypes. Very surprising this hasn't surfaced before now.

SMS states that your case will take approximately 3.25 hrs to complete; however, if your problem still exists, it will become apparent within 1.5 hours from now.

This appears to be some debugging information when the model goes unstable, probably due to courant issues.

The variables are as follows:

i = active cell number

eta, etan = water surface elevation for times n-1 and n.

depth = initial depth,

totdep = initial depth + etan

u,v = current velocity components

Lowering your timestep, should help with this problem.

I believe I have your problem solved after finding two misstypes. Very surprising this hasn't surfaced before now.

SMS states that your case will take approximately 3.25 hrs to complete; however, if your problem still exists, it will become apparent within 1.5 hours from now.

The end of boundary error is gone; thanks for the assistance. Now I'm just working on stability issues. I'm just glad the bug is fixed; thanks again!