GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
walkington

Open Ocean Boundary Conditions in ADCIRC

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with SMS in dealing with ocean boundary conditions, or maybe I am just getting confused:) The program seems to read in the boundary nodes from the grid file and then sorts them into numerical order. It then reads in the fort.15 parameter file and associates the amp and phase info in this file with the sorted boundary nodes. However the amp and phase info is not sorted to match the boundary nodes thus giving the wrong forcing condition to any nodes that were not listed in numerical order. The same problem can be seen when renumerbing a grid. Here the nodes are relisted with the right node numbers but the old boundary condition data doesn't change and so is now associated with a random node.

This has caused me some major headaches:(

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

If my memory serves me right, this was fixed in the Intermediate release SMS 10.0.4 - June 11, 2008. What version of SMS are you using?

- John

Hi,

Yep that seemed to fix the problem. How do you set which node it wants to start from? It is just that I am using boundary forcing data in multiple grids, but with the same boundary, and with multiple ocean boundaries. Sometimes SMS numbers from one ocean boundary and sometimes it numbers from the other. I can just cut and paste the data in blocks, but is there any way to force SMS to number from a specific node or nodestring. Perhaps the nodestring chosen to renumber on could be the node started from.

Hopefully I have been clear but it wouldn't surprise me if not :)

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Just a guess - does the nodestring direction have anything to do with it?

- John