GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
traggatmot

SMS - Culvert Modeling Error

When attempting to model a culvert, I get an error condition I don't recognize:

Stopped in structure_culvert.f90 ICELL eror#5

Error Code is: 40589

I am not sure if this is an error within HY-8 or within SRH-2D.  And the error code - is that referring to a cell ID? 

Thanks.

Do your culvert boundary arcs line up well with cell edges in your mesh? I have gotten similar errors before and that is the first thing I would check.

Phillip

Make sure that ALL the nodes the culvert are linking to in the mesh are lower than the invert you assigned to the culvert at both the inlet and outlet.

Don - Hmmm.  What do you mean by linking to? The BC representing the culvert doesn't snap to any of the nodes in the mesh - so would linking to mean any nodes or elements that it is sitting on top of?

train30 - As far as I can tell, they do.

Here's the cell causing the error:

image.thumb.png.994e631dbb5e982321f5ef4d3eaaf70d.pngHere's the

culvert information:

image.png.d493511665a4bf27e2e02163e6319ed8.png

The BC arc's are just off of the steep rise in the mesh due to road fill - screen shot of inlet:

image.thumb.png.4b381a5955565361924db5aabf1f9848.png

And, as far as I can tell, every cell the inlet is over has a z value of less than 330.5, which is what the inlet invert is set to.

Traggatmot,

Looks good. Plenty of cells along the culvert

Have you tried shrinking the boundary to not include that cell? May not be a permanent solution, but could make run.

Phillip

I wonder if you're getting a spike in water surface at the boundary line with a depth of 100 to 1,000 feet right on the culvert. Decrease the time step could help

Train30, TS is currently set to 0.1 seconds for 30 minutes.  I am trying different outlet BCs to try and avoid this error but nothing works so far. 

What I meant by it linking to nodes is if you turn on snap preview through display option, or shift q, You can see which element faces it is linking to. Not sure if that is the problem you are getting here though, but still good to check. I got that same error when my culvert arc was not long enough to link to a face. Snap preview will definitely help you see that.

One thing I notice is that the reported Max TW in the error message is 108.21 and the culvert definition inverts are defined as ~330. This is roughly about the conversion of meters to feet. Is there a chance that your mesh projection and display projection are set to meters for the vertical unit?

Map Coverage (Inlet, Outlet, Culvert BCs) and Mesh are both in the same projection, as is the display projection - as far as I can tell.  I just re-projected all to the one same projection as well, just to be sure. 

Capture2.PNG

Thanks for checking that. SRH-2D will interpret the geometry in SI units if the horizontal projection unit is in meters. So what I believe is happening is that SRH is interpreting the ~330 ft mesh elevations as 330 meters and the TW values are much much higher than the 330 ft values in the HY8 table. 

I would recommend making your horizontal and vertical units consistent by using the "Reproject All" function to convert all your horizontal units to feet or all your vertical units to meters, whichever one fits the situation. After doing that you should be ok to run SRH and even raise your timestep back up.

-Cody

It comes down to failing at the first timestep to produce flow on the other side of the culvert, with the flow elevation (TW elevation) being higher on that first wet cell than what is allowed in the 'Reverse HY8 Tables'? 

Edit: Calberts, just saw your post.  Will try that.

Capture.PNG