GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Markus

Maximum number of stress periods

Hello,

by default the maximum number of stress periods in modflow 2005 is/was originally 1,000. Is this still valid within GMS? In an older thread it was mentioned that there is another compilation of modflow available which can handle up to 10,000 SP.

What is the current state? Thank you.

Regards

Markus

I would like to know the answer to this as well.  I have often had problems trying to use more than 200 stress periods.  I don't know if it makes a difference how many time periods you have for each stress period or not.

I just created a two year model, with one extra leap year day, having 731 daily stress periods. We decided to use 4 time steps per SP to speed up the run, and it solved just fine with no major error. It has 5 municipal wells with detailed data, but entered as daily rates/stresses. Also had great meteorological data and instrumented monitoring wells in the area. All input was in a daily format. The model runs in about 6 minutes using MODFLOW 2000 in GMS.

Thanks to Hydrology and Kirk for your contributions .

I never experienced any problem with a number of stress periods < 1,000. I think time steps are not counted in this number, but I never tried.

Maybe any supervisor of this forum can answer the questions:

1. Maximum allowed number of stress periods (number of time steps included or not?) within the current version of GMS?
  2. What about this special compiled Modflow version allowing up to 10,000 Stress periods which was mentioned in an older thread?

Thank you.

Regards

Markus