GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Ialadines

Erosion Depth not additive between simulations?

Hi all,

I am attempting to carry out a lengthy sediment transport scenario that's  2952 hours (yikes). To have a bit more control of the results I thought to run it in roughly 1000 hr intervals. When I finished the first interval I thought all that would be necessary to continue evaluating the rate of deposition/erosion would be selecting the restart file (RST.dat)  from the end of the previous simulation to start the next one. However, it seems  the deposition/erosion process is not additive looking at the results from the end of the second interval. Does the restart file not contain the erosion values needed for the next simulation? Or maybe there is something else besides the restart file that I need to make this work?

thanks,

Isaac

Edited by Ialadines

Isaac,

Restart files should include information about sediment transport. If you are not seeing that behavior, let us know what version of SMS you are running SRH-2D with and we can perform some additional tests to ensure that everything is working in the current release of SRH-2D and SMS.

-Cody

Thanks for the reply Cody.

So I have found what I need to do to make the next simulation continue the sedimentation/erosion in a response from Dr. Lai. As opposed to inputting the RST.dat in the model control you write into the DIP.dat file from the previous simulation using "irest= ID" where ID is the # of the RST file from SRH-2D (Mine ended at RST43 so I input in the DIP.dat file "irest= 43"). However, when I then selected the DIP.dat file I had altered as the restart file, i got a strange error that Ive attached below that I cant find anything in the manual for. Any help with this would be very helpful.

Modeling Run Time error for DIP_(7-24-18).JPG

Isaac,

If I'm not mistaken, that may just be another way to tell SRH that you want to use a restart file. I have never done it that way, but from the manual it appears that you want to do either "IREST=0" for no restart file or "IREST=1" to use a restart file. You would then have a file alongside the simulation .DAT file which matches the casename of the .DAT file but has an "_RST.dat" at the end of it. Below is a snippet from page 91 of the SRH Manual

image.png.dfd41fc0420156648fb1874f6f38ee02.png

Either way it seems like this is just an alternate way to specify that you want to use a restart file. Let us know if it works. I still think that the restart file should have the sediment info included in it, so let us know if it does not appear to have such.

-Cody

I see what you mean. That might have been a bit of oversight on my part. I went ahead and set "irest=1" in the same file but I was prompted with the same error code as above which I could not troubleshoot. With what you have mentioned from the manual, I went ahead and gave the restart file another try for the next 1000 hours. I will let you know when it is completed to see whether or not the sediment info is carried over and then go from there. Thanks again for the input!