GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
ramakrb

How to import/read a binary *.hds file?

Hello,

I am new to using MODFLOW and GMS and I have a previously calibrated model (GW Vistas) and the model files are in native MODFLOW files. I imported those files in GMS and the "check simulation" generated several errors and warnings. The model runs fine using the command line with the USGS MODFLOW executable. I am trying to see if I can just read the *.hds file created while executing the model using command line. Is there a way to just load the *.hds and draw down file and view the results in GMS? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

what kind of errors are there during the check? If you were able to load the simulation into gms, you should also be able to read the solution. Try right clicking on the simulation (MODFLOW in the project tree) and select Read Solution command. Then just select the modflow name file and the binary data should load.

Hi Michal,

I get the following errors/warnings when I load the model in GMS. Most of them seem to be in the RIVER package

1. EVT Package 
"Error: EVT elevation is below bottom elevation in cell i=x, j=y, k=1" - There are several of these errors.

2. RIVER package 
"Warning:  River bed elevation is below cell bottom elevation in cell i=x, j=y, k=1 for stress period zz" - There are several of these warnings for each stress period.

"Error:  River stage is below cell bottom elevation in cell i=x, j=y, k=1 for stress period zz" - There are several of these errors for each stress period.

"Warning:  THICKM2 is zero or negative in segment x in stress period y" - There are several of these warnings for each stress period.
"Warning:  HCOND1 is zero or negative in segment x in stress period y" - There are several of these warnings for each stress period.

"Error:  ELEVUP or ELEVDN is below a cell bottom elevation in segment x in stress period y" - There are several of these errors for each stress period.

I also tried to load the binary head file from the MODFLOW simulation (which I got by running the model in the command line using the USGS executable with the command : mf2005.exe Project.nam) using the Read solution and it would not load. When I try to do the Read solution, it is looking for name file with extension *.mfn, but I only have a *.nam file. 

Edited by ramakrb

Ok, I see your dilemma, since the model was already calibrated. Try loading the .nam file via Read Solution command. It should have the same format as .mfn and it should load the binary output data referenced there. You could also try to run the model with the MF executable that worked through GMS via custom Run dialog.