GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jbach

Infiltrated depth vs. Total downward flux from unsaturated zone...how to interpret

I'm having trouble understanding the results of my long-term simulation. When I look in the summary file, there is a significant volume of "Total downward flux from unsaturated zone" (which is equal to "volume of groundwater recharge"). However, the infiltrated depth according to the grid output file says that the maximum depth of infiltration is only 0.4 meters (which is less than my Soil Moisture Depth of 1 meter).

I thought that the Soil Moisture Depth parameter for long-term Green & Amt with Redistribution defined the depth of the unsaturated zone. But that doesn't jibe with the aforementioned results. If maximum infiltrated depth is 0.4 meters, but the unsaturated zone is 1 meter deep, shouldn't the "Total downward flux from unsaturated zone" be zero?

Can someone help clear this up? Have I misunderstood what all of these parameters are referring to?

Thanks!

-Joel

Joel,

I don't have an immediate answer to your question off the top of my head.  I'd recommend contacting tech support to see if they can help you with your specific questions.  Their contact information is here: https://www.aquaveo.com/technical-support

If you could provide a copy of your model to tech support and explain the specific problem you're having, that would be best.  With specific engineering-related questions, consulting is available at an additional charge.

There are 2 good resources for answering GSSHA-specific questions.  The first is the GSSHA wiki, located at https://gsshawiki.com

Also notice on the GSSHA wiki web site that a training course is being offered next month in Alabama.  This 2-day course is offered free of charge if there are still seats available.  You would need to provide your own time, lodging, and transportation to the course.  I think this is a great opportunity to discuss any problems you have with the GSSHA developers and to get to know them.  Contact information for the course is on gsshawiki.com.  This would be a good use of your time and you would get to know other people using GSSHA for their projects.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Chris