GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
disgreen

Converting GIS Point Features Into Gaging Stations

Hello,

I'm trying to retrieve dynamic stage in a number of depressional features within a model. Is there a way to convert points within a shapefile into monitoring gages within WMS?

Thanks in advance.

David

David,

I looked at the documentation for gages in WMS and I'm afraid it's not very helpful.  There are 2 types of gages in WMS: Rain gages and monitoring gages.  You can convert a shapefile to rain gages in a "Rain Gage" coverage but there's no way to directly convert a shapefile to monitoring gages.  However, there is a monitoring gage file format that you can import into WMS in the Gages dialog.  Here's a sample file:

GAGE
BEGGAG
NAM Gage1
LOC 1.000000 1.000000 0.000000
DIR 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
COL 0 0 255
BEGGAG
NAM Gage2
LOC 10.000000 10.000000 0.000000
COL 0 0 255
BEGGAG
NAM Gage3
LOC 20.000000 20.000000 0.000000
COL 0 0 255

The "BEGGAG" line tells WMS to create a new gage.  The "NAM" line is the name of the gage and the "LOC" line is the X Y Z location of the gage.  You could just export the XYZ points from a shapefile to a text file and modify the file to include the necessary lines to import as a gage file.  The only thing you might want to change in this file (besides the location and name) is the "COL" card.  This is the Red, Green, and Blue color for the gage.  The "DIR" isn't really used in WMS.  To import this file, just go to the 2D grid module and select Data | Gages from the menus.  It's also accessible from the "Select Monitoring Gage" tool.  Select import from the Gages dialog and read your file.  You could also just create a bunch of new gages in the Gages dialog and copy/paste your XYZ values into the dialog spreadsheet.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris

Hi Chris,

As always, thank you for looking into this. I'll try your suggestion and let you know if it works. Perhaps this would be a good feature to add to WMS.

Also, is there a way in WMS to do a bulk extraction of time-series from multiple gages? For example, one (ideal) export structure would be gages organized by ID (as columns) with a common time-stamp. 

Thanks again,

David

Hi Chris,

An additional question: the gage file format looks to be space delimited. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

David

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the repeated posts. I wrote a small Python script to transform the point feature data into the gage file format you gave. It worked quite well. Thank you.