GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
disgreen

Extracting Flow Depth Time-series

Hello,

I'm currently using GSSHA to model overland flow processes in a depression-dominated watershed. I've successfully mapped and retained the depressional characteristics of this basin, and have retained these features in the model and subsequent simulations. Now, I'd like to be able to determine the rate at which depressions fill from overland flow, and determine the extent of surface water connectivity between depressions using water depth contours at various times during a simulation. Is this possible using built-in WMS tools?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

You may want to look into monitoring gages for the 2D grid. After you have loaded in the solution, you can use the "Create monitoring gage" tool circled in green in the image below to create a gage anywhere in the grid, such as the one shown circled in red. Then, you can use the "Select monitoring gage" to double click on the gage and it will display a plot for the 2D grid dataset, such as the one displayed in the image. Now, unfortunately this does not exactly give you a rate at which the depressions are filling, but it does show the computed depths on the cell over time so it does give you an indication of what is going on in the cell.

For the second inquiry, I am not sure that I know exactly what kind of built in tool you are thinking of for visualizing the connectivity. Could you provide a little more detail on what you are wanting to see? It may be that there are already other ways to accomplish what you want to see.

-Cody

monitoring gage.png

Hi Cody,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look at placing monitoring gages in the depressions to get time-series of depth accumulation. The second part of my question is a bit vague, and is really mainly an idea at this point. In depressional landscapes depressions become connected through a fill-spill mechanism. This results in a continuous water surface connecting some depressions, but not all. The only way I can think of to map the connectivity of depressions at various points in a simulation is to evaluate the water depth contours and whether they intersect depressions. Is there a way to export these for a model domain for a set of time-steps?

Thank you for your help.

David