GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark22

export color fill or block fill as polygon shape

Hello,

is it possible to export results (heads, drawdown, ...) displayed as color-fill or block-fill as polygon shape files?

Via GRID/Layer contours ->Shapefile one can export the contours as a lineshape. But how to export as polygons?

Am using version 10.3

Mark

You can export the grid as a polygon shape file. The data set value will also export so that you could reproduce block-fill in another GIS program.

Thanks, Alan.

I suspect there is a bug in GMS 10.3.6:

When exporting via right-click-GRID in project window, attributes are not exported, when using "selected datasets" (see images). It does work with the option "Active datasets".

image.png.43a7fa41452f8cea6ed944e71a7a0bd0.pngimage.png.473d859ae7a104923d5d6365062e00d3.png 

one more question:

when exporting the grid including e.g. drawdown as polygon shape file, the spatial relations are somewhat lost. Can I correct this (how?) or is it a bug?

Any easy way to export polygon/block fill from GMS to GIS (as for line-shapes)? Or do I still not understand the right way to do it? 

Screenshot from GMS:                                                                   after import to QGIS:

image.thumb.png.4dfd15720c81581bd94243bf934b6736.png  image.thumb.png.3987d979743e1f7a8b4b52aed38aaf4d.png

Hi Mark,

first, I recommend you to use the Arc Hydro Groundwater (AHGW) from Aquaveo, which enables you to simply import the simulation results (including Draw down) into ArcGIS. If you don’t want to do that, you can follow the following tedious steps:  

1-      Go the project explorer- 3D grid data, and select the “top” in Global package to make it the active dataset.

2-      Right click on the 3Dgird icon and then export the 3D grid as a shapefile (grid.shp).

3-      In the windows of Export 3D Grid to shapefile select the “Active cells” and “Active dataset”, which in your case is the top elevation of the layer.

4-      Once again, right click on the 3D grid icon and choose the commend “Convert To 2D Grid” and write   0  as the default Z value for 2D grid.

5-      Now go to your MODFLOW Solution and select the DrawDown to be the active dataset.

6-      Go to the Menu Bar and Select the “Grid” which is located between “Display” and “MODFLOW”.

7-      Choose the commend ‘’3D data -> 2D data”.

8-      A window will appear, change the option of “create dataset using”: into “value from k layer”.

9-      Be sure to see DrawDown:all near the button 3D Dataset in this window, then click ok.

10-   Accept the default dataset name “lay1_DrawDown”.

11-   Now you have two dataset under your 2D Grid, you can delete the default, and select the lay1_DrawDown to be the active dataset.

12-    Right click on the 2D grid and choose the commend “Convert to 2D Scatter Points”. You can change the name if you want.

13-   Now you can choose which time step you want to export to ArcGIS.

14-   Right click on the scatter points (which represent the DrawDown as points), and then choose the commend “Export..”, to be saved as type “Shapefile(.shp)”.

15-   Now, you have 2 shapefiles. The first one is the Grid as polygons, and the second is the drawdown as points.

16-   Import these two files into ArcMap.

17-   In the table of content in ArcMap, right click on the Grid, and choose the commend “join and Relates” / join..

18-   In the field of “Choose the filed in this layer that the join will be based on”, choose the field “ID”.

19-   In the filed of “ choose the table to join to this layer, or load the table from disk” , choose the drawdown, which is a point-shapefile.

20-   In the field of “choose the filed in the table to base the join on” choose the field “NUMBER”. Then click ok.

21-   Now you can display the drawdown, by right click on the Grid, then choose the Properties.. then Symbology, then Quantities , then choose the Value to be “Lay1_DrawD”.

22-   You can choose  the number of classes and the color ramp you want.

23-   If you have a large number of cells, you may need to click on the button Classify, then increase the value of Maximum Sample Size, through the button Sampling in the Classification window. You have to increase the value to a number that is larger than the number of the cells in your model. If you don’t increase it, you will notice that not all cells are displayed.

I hope this will help you.

Khaled

Dear Khaled,

thanks a lot for the detailed description. I understand your precedure and will follow the 23 steps.

Unfortunately I have no access to ArcGIS and therefore Arc Hydro Groundwater is not an option for me (or does it work with QGIS?). Nevertheless - maybe as a remark for GMS developers - I would wish/recommend to create an export option (polygon shape) for fringes within GMS as it is available for contour lines already. 

Anyway, thanks once more!

Greetings from Amman

Mark

We're not seeing this behavior in our tests. Perhaps if we could get a copy of your files we could find the problem. Please contact support@aquaveo.com. Thanks.