GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Jim Mills

Can a materials coverage be copied from another sms project?

How can I copy a materials coverage from another SMS project? I tried opening the "name.materials" file in the other project, but nothing happened.

Hi Jim,

The .map file contains the materials coverage. If you load that into the new project it will load in all the map coverages that were included in the original project and you can delete the ones you don't want.

In SMS 12.2, the limitation to this method is if the materials coverage is one of the coverages that use the new dynamic model interface (DMI) such as an SRH-2D materials coverage, the attributes and coverage type will be lost and only the polygon geometry will be loaded in.

You can easily get around that DMI limitation and ensure that the attributes are preserved in one of two ways: 

The first way is nice if you are starting a new project from scratch. You would make a duplicate of the project you are working on, open the duplicate and delete out all the stuff you don't want in the new project you are building, except for the materials coverage. This will ensure that none of the materials attributes

The second way is nice if you already have a project and you just want to add a new materials coverage. You would select the materials coverage to make it the active (bolded) coverage, select File Save as... and then change the Save as type to "Shapefile". In the export options you will select Feature Polygons -> Polygon Shapefile. This will create a polygon shapefile that can be opened in the new project and converted back to a map coverage by right clicking on it and selecting Convert | Shapes -> Feature Objects. This will start open the a wizard to walk you through the conversion process. If you specify the material attribute in the shapefile as "Material" in the GIS to Feature Objects Wizard ---- Step 1 of 1window, the material type will be preserved and transferred to the coverage.

-Cody

Thanks, that did it. I mainly just wanted the geometry anyway. Also, it's good idea to put the Map Data in its own folder before binging in the map data from the other project because many of the maps have the same name, and this will keep them separate.

I have a second question on another subject: I am doing some editing on a small portion of the scatter tin, deleting and adding a few triangles and vertices. Whenever I add a new vertex, triangles are automatically added around the new vertex. Is there a way to stop the program from adding triangles whenever I add a vertex?

Jim, I see that we have an option for the opposite of what you want (when a vertex is deleted we can specify whether SMS retriangulates the void or not) in the Scatter Options of the Scatter menu. However, I am unaware of an option to specify whether SMS retriangulates when adding a vertex. I have submitted a feature request to our development team for them to consider adding this as an option to future releases.

-Cody

Jim,

As a follow-up, is it that the triangles that are automatically generated are undesirable and you have to delete them and create the triangles by hand?

You may consider using breaklines, which can allow you to easily control the triangulation to force the triangles to behave how you want them to.

Here are a few links on breaklines that may be helpful:

-Cody

Thanks, I'll try creating new breaklines instead of adding one vertex at a time.

I didn't have to create any triangles by hand, it just made so many triangles automatically that I had to delete most of them before adding the next vertex. It would have been simpler to create the vertex then add the triangle by hand.