GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Dale Meck

display materials on mesh?

Hello forum folks,

Is there a way to display the materials on the actual mesh elements? That functionality used to exist (in an earlier release of SMS?)... but the options to turn on materials don't seem to be available anymore. That was a very helpful function for confirming material mapping was consistent with the elements.

Capture.JPG.055f67df91795b86c5c8ae07cce14c7f.JPG

-d

Hi Dale,

With the new simulation based approach to modeling in SMS the material properties are no longer stored in the mesh for SRH-2D meshes. They are rather stored in the materials coverage and polygon material properties are then assigned to the underlying elements. An alternate way of seeing how the materials are getting assigned to the mesh would be to go to the "Map" section of the display options and turn on "Snap Preview". If the mesh and materials coverage are both linked to a simulation, then dotted lines will appear which show how the materials are being "draped" or assigned to the mesh elements.

SnapPreview.thumb.png.536e48572cc75dcee063cf12ab0cfb2e.png

-Cody

Thanks - this is helpful (kinda). It does give you a dotted line, but it also seems to leave the polygons (at elevation 0) so depending on the angle you review the mesh at, it can be hard to see since the polygons show up underneath.

I'd really like to be able to inspect the roughness for each element - maybe a drape feature? It'd also be useful to me to be able to click on an element and have the roughness value display along with the elevation data.

-dCapture.thumb.JPG.85b198f6c8bbefacd6b035710f26f2a9.JPG

Hi Dale,

I can see the concern. The old way of viewing materials assigned to the elements was definitely an easy way to see the element material assignments. We are always looking at improving our users experience with the software so I have made some notes that I will send them to our development team.

For the time being, you can adjust the elevations of the polygon nodes and vertices in the material coverage by interpolating your scatter set (if you have one loaded into the project) to the map data. To do this make the materials coverage the active coverage by clicking on it, switch to the scatter module, and then select Interpolate to map... from the Scatter menu.

This will interpolate the scatter elevations to the map coverage and bring it from zero up to the level of the mesh. Now, this may still not be optimal for viewing as some of the polygons may protrude through the mesh surface, partially obscuring the elements, but that will depend on the data configuration. It may be just as helpful to just leave the polygon vertices and nodes at zero and turn off the mesh contours to view the mesh in plan view.

-Cody